Hayward Joseph Young (1921-2008)

Hayward Joseph Young - Royal Navy JX181285 (1940-1946)

In September 1939, Germany invaded Poland. War is declared on Germany. In the North Atlantic, merchant ships became sitting ducks for German U-boats. In the last 4 months of 1939, over 100 ships were lost while crossing the Atlantic. The British needed ships. Ocean Liners were being requisitioned and armed. These Armed Merchant Cruisers (AMCs) were needed to escort convoys of merchant ships across the Atlantic.

In 1939, Hayward Young of Stephenville Crossing, Newfoundland was 18 years old. Sometime between Christmas and New Years, Hayward hopped the “Newfie bullet” for St. John’s, where he “joined up” (volunteered for the Royal Navy). In the above photo, Hayward is the cool guy in the three piece suit and the cravat. It is believed that this photo was taken shortly before he “joined up”. The other people in the photo are unidentified and are believed to have also volunteered.



Also in September 1939, the SS Maloja, a British steam powered Ocean Liner was requisitioned from the “Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company” by the British Admiralty and was being converted to an armed merchant cruiser (AMC) in Bombay, India.


SS Maloja


Immediately upon declaring war, the German navy and air force attacked vessels throughout the Atlantic Ocean. Great Britain and the allies quickly instituted a convoy system to protect transatlantic shipping and block the supply routes to Germany. Despite significant losses early in the campaign, the allies would eventually gain the upper hand and win the battle of the Atlantic.


Before long, Hayward would find himself in Halifax, Nova Scotia, awaiting transport to England. This would be the Hayward’s first big city experience. He is in the company of a group of Newfoundlanders, who are also joining the war effort. Hayward’s brother Harold is there, as well as others from the Bay St. George area, including Gerald Hayward from Port Au Port, a small community about 15 miles from Stephenville Crossing. It was likely a very exciting time for all. Hayward and Gerald would remain close friends for the rest of their lives. While roaming the streets of Halifax, they happened upon the storefront of a J. C. M. Hayward, a professional photographer, who as strange as it may sound, turned out to be Gerald Hayward’s father. He produced the following photographs.

Photo – Courtesy of Bill O’Gorman

Front Row; (L to R) Dan (Patch) McLean, Doug White, Gerald Hayward, ___________.

Back Row; (L to R) Felix Benoit, Jim White, Artie O’Quin, ________, _________, Hayward Young

Front Row; (L to R) Hayward Young, ______, Jim White, ______, ______.

Back Row: (L to R) Harold Young (Hayward’s brother), Felix Benoit, Gerald Hayward, ______, Doug White, Dan McLean.

January 4, 1940 – February 13, 1940 – HMS Victory

Hayward officially joins the Royal Navy on January 4, 1940 and makes his first transatlantic crossing to HMS Victory, a naval training facility in England. He officially signed up for a period described as “until the end of the period of the present emergency”.

HMS Victory was a shore based training facility located near Portsmouth, on the south coast of England, also known as the Portsmouth Naval barracks.


Hayward Young at HMS Victory

At HMS Victory (1940) – Hayward is the one with the big smile near the center.

At HMS Victory (1940) – Hayward is on the left with the cigarette. The chap laying down on the left (front) has been identified as John Wiliam Anthony, born in St. John’s Newfoundland.

February 14, 1940 – May 31, 1940 – AMC Maloja


Following 6 weeks of basic training, Ordinary Seaman Hayward Young was assigned to the freshly converted SS Maloja, which joined the battle of the Atlantic as the Armed Merchant Cruiser (AMC) HMS Maloja.


The Blockade of Germany (1939–1945)


“The Blockade of Germany (1939–1945) also known as the Economic War, was carried out during the Second World War by Great Britain and France in order to restrict the supplies of minerals, metals, food and textiles Germany needed to sustain its war effort. While mainly consisting of a naval blockade, the economic war, which formed part of the wider Battle of the Atlantic, also included the preclusive buying of war materials from neutral countries to prevent them going to the enemy, and the widespread use of strategic bombing.

There were four distinct phases. The first period was from the beginning of European hostilities in September 1939 to the end of the “Phoney War,” during which the Allies and Axis powers both intercepted neutral merchant ships to seize deliveries en route to the enemy. The second period began after the rapid German occupation of the majority of the European landmass which gave them control of major centres of industry and agriculture. The third period was from late 1941 after the beginning of hostilities between America and Japan. The final period came after the tide of war finally turned against Germany after heavy military defeats up to and after D-Day, which led to a gradual withdrawal from the occupied territories in the face of the overwhelming Allied military offensive.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_Germany_(1939%E2%80%9345)


Northern Patrol


The Northern Patrol was an important piece of the allied initiative to protect the supply routes to Britain and block the supply routes to Germany.

The Northern Patrol covered a large area of the North Atlantic Ocean, essentially covering the portion that lies between the Shetland Islands and Greenland. The HMS Maloja’s initial assignment was to patrol the Denmark Straits, the body of water between Iceland and Greenland.

HMS Maloja aka AMC Maloja


The North Atlantic is not the most pleasant place on the planet in the wintertime. Not only do you have a permanent high level low pressure area hovering in the vicinity of Iceland, but there is a continuous parade of low pressure systems crossing the Atlantic from North America to Europe. The consequence is very rough seas. One can only imagine what it was like for an eighteen year old to crawl into his bunk at night, knowing that there were German U-boats continuously prowling the area, with the sole intent of finding you and sinking you.

The Denmark Straits


The following photographs were believed to have been taken in the area of the Denmark Straits in the Winter of 1940. They should give you some sense of what it was like to be there.

Snow and Ice on the deck of HMS Maloja in the Denmark Straits (1940)


Belgian Trawler in the Denmark Straits (1940)


Cutter launched from the HMS Maloja in the Denmark Straits (1940)


On board the HMS Maloja in the Denmark Straits (1940)


HMS Devonshire in the Denmark Straits, photo taken from the HMS Maloja (1940)


On board the HMS Maloja in the Denmark Straits (1940)


Mail delivery in the Denmark Straits (1940)


On board the HMS Maloja in the Denmark Straits (1940)



On board the HMS Maloja (1940)


On February 24, 1940, Hayward celebrated his 19th birthday on board the HMS Maloja somewhere in the North Atlantic.

The “La Coruña” Encounter

On March 13, 1940, The HMS Maloja intercepts the German Merchant Ship, La Coruña southeast of Iceland. La Coruña is flying a Japanese flag and identifies itself as the Taki Maru. Although the crew suspected the ship to be a German ship, they were hampered from boarding by the weather conditions.


La Coruña, March 13, 1940

Before the ship could be boarded, the crew of the La Coruña, decided to scuttle their ship.


La Coruña, March 13, 1940

This photo catches the explosion amidships.

La Coruña, March 13, 1940

All 68 crew survived by abandoning the ship in lifeboats. Following the rescue of the crew of the La Coruña, the guns of the HMS Maloja were turned on the German ship.

Following the sinking of the La Coruña, HMS Maloja turns it guns on the lifeboats.

Able Seaman Hayward Young

In June of 1940, Hayward Young is promoted to Able Seaman and was qualified with an AA3 rating, meaning he was able to handle smaller calibre anti aircraft guns and was entitled to wear the appropriate badge on his sleeve.

Able Seaman Hayward Young


June 1, 1940 – November 4, 1941 – AMC Maloja


In June of 1940, the HMS Maloja is reassigned from Northern Patrol to the Western Approaches Command.


“The Western Approaches is an approximately rectangular area of the Atlantic ocean lying immediately to the west of the British Isles. The north and south boundaries are defined by the corresponding extremities of the British Isles. The coast of the mainland forms the eastern side and the western boundary is the 30 degree meridian, which passes through Iceland. The area is particularly important to the United Kingdom, because many of its larger shipping ports lie within it.

The term is most commonly used when discussing naval warfare, notably during the First World War and Battle of the Atlantic during the Second World War in which Nazi Germany’s Kriegsmarine attempted to blockade the United Kingdom using submarines (U-boats) operating in this area. Since almost all shipping to and from the United Kingdom passed through this area, it was an excellent hunting ground and had to be heavily defended.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Approaches


In June, 1940, HMS Maloja is assigned to the Freetown Escort Force.


The OS/SL series of convoys between Britain and the South Atlantic. Ships carrying commodities bound to the British Isles from South America, Africa, and the Indian Ocean traveled independently to Freetown, Sierra Leone in West Africa. The ships were then convoyed from Sierra Leone to Great Britain. Some convoys in this series rendezvoused with other ships off Gibraltar.


Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa (1940)

Convoy No. SL 038F


Convoy No. SL 038F was number 38 in the series and departed Freetown on July 4, 1940. The “F” refers to a fast convoy. The convoy included 14 vessels with one escort, the HMS Maloja, which left the Convoy on July 17, 1940 and returned to Freetown. The convoy safely arrived in Liverpool on July 20 with no vessels lost.


Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa (1940) Photo taken from the HMS Maloja

Convoy No. SL 042


Convoy No. SL 042 departed Freetown on August 2, 1940. Convoy No. 042 included 53 vessels. The HMS Maloja joined the convoy on August 8, 1940 and remained with the convoy until leaving on August 20, 1940 to return to Freetown. The convoy arrived Liverpool on August 21. I vessel was lost due to collision at sea and 13 vessels did not not sail.

Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa (1940)

Convoy No. SL 048

After leaving Convoy No. SL 042 on August 20, 1940, the HMS Maloja joined Convoy No. SL 048 on September 19, 1940. The convoy arrived Liverpool on October 10.

Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa (1940)


Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa (1940)

In November, 1940, HMS Maloja is assigned to the Bermuda and Halifax Escort Force.


“The HX convoys were a series of North Atlantic convoys which ran during the Battle of the Atlantic in the Second World War. They were east-bound convoys and originated in Halifax, Nova Scotia from where they sailed to ports in the United Kingdom. They absorbed the BHX convoys from Bermuda en route. Later, after the United States entered the war, HX convoys began at New York.

A total of 377 convoys ran in the campaign, conveying a total of about 20,000 ships. 38 convoys were attacked (about 10%), resulting in losses of 110 ships in convoy; a further 60 lost straggling, and 36 while detached or after dispersal, with loses from marine accident and other causes, for a total loss of 206 ships, or about 1% of the total.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HX_convoys


Hayward Young, with Cecil Skinner of Harbour Breton, Newfoundland


Convoy No. BHX 090

BHX 090 departed Bermuda on November 19, 1940. The convoy was made up of 22 vessels plus 3 escorts and arrived in Liverpool on November 24, 1940.

Convoy No. BHX 093

BHX 093 departed Bermuda on December 1, 1940. The convoy was made up of 14 vessels plus 3 escorts and joined HX 093 on December 7, 1940, at which point the HMS Maloja set a course for Halifax.

HMS Maloja in drydock

St. John, New Brunswick (Dec 1940)

Convoy No. SC 017

SC 017 departed Halifax on December 23, 1940. The convoy was made up of 22 vessels plus 7 escorts and arrived Liverpool on January 8, 1941.

Convoy No. BHX 106

BHX 106 departed Bermuda on January 28, 1941. The convoy was made up of 29 vessels plus 3 escorts and joined HX 106 on February 2, 1941, at which point the HMS Maloja set a course for Halifax. 

Convoy No. HX 108

HX 108 departed Halifax on February 9, 1941. The convoy was made up of 50 vessels plus 9 escorts. The HMS Maloja left the convoy on February 18 and the convoy arrived Liverpool on February 27, 1941.

Time for a cool one

Convoy No. BHX 132


BHX 132 departed Bermuda on June 8, 1941. The convoy was made up of 13 vessels plus 3 escorts. After joining with convoy HX 132 on June 13, the HMS Maloja returned to Bermuda.

Convoy No. BHX 134


BHX 134 departed Bermuda on June 18, 1941. The convoy was made up of 16 vessels plus 3 escorts. After joining with convoy HX 134 on June 23. The HMS Maloja left the convoy on July 4 and set a course for Iceland.

Source: http://www.warsailors.com/convoys/hx134report.html


The following is a detailed report of Convoy HX 134, provided by Commodore Gerald N. Jones. The detail gives a good sense of what it was like to be part of a convoy in the North Atlantic.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HX_convoys


Commodore Gerald N. Jones’ Report – Convoy HX 134


Thursday, June 19,1941


Conference held in the office of the Naval Control Service in the Halifax Dockyard. The conference was addressed by Commander Oland, R.C.N., by the Captain of the A.M.C. HMS Maloja, and also by myself as Commodore. The usual instructions regarding Convoy Organization and procedure were given.


Friday June 20, 1941

Sailing of the Convoy was delayed five hours by Admiralty cable, as the route was altered and all ships had to be given new instructions.

At 12:30 – I boarded the S/S Manchester Division, Captain H. Hancock. The Signal Staff were already on board.

At 15:15 – we weighed anchor and proceeded,

16:00 – Passed Turtle Hd,

16:31 – Passed through Boom defence,

16:50 – Pilot disembarked,

17:00 – Proceeded at 6 knots,

17:20 – Passed Red Buoy. Set course 116 degrees,

18:50 – Reduced to 5 knots,

18:55 – A/C 081 degrees,

19:45 – Increased to 6 1/2 knots. Convoy now in formation 21 ships present. Cruiser HMS Maloja coming up into station between 4th and 5th columns. Local escorts present are HMCS Napanee and Dauphin Corvettes,

20:14 – Opened out Convoy to 5 cables.


Saturday June 21, 1941

Visibility deteriorating.

01:30 – Dense fog, sounding column numbers, heard ship blowing ahead of Convoy on port wing, ship must have cleared safely.
Noon position – 44 44N 60 58W. Distance 114 miles. Average speed 6.1 knots Bar: 30.01 steady, Air 55. Light airs smooth sea. Dense fog, have not seen Convoy since dusk last night.

14:55 – Heard ship’s whistle right ahead, a ship passed down the column close to port of us, we could see her, and I hailed him to keep a steady course. The ship was towing a fog buoy. Another ship passed through the Convoy somewhere to starboard and a destroyer’s whistle was heard. Must be a small Convoy outward bound, but it is disturbing. Fortunately all went well.

16:00 – Wind freshening at S.S.W. but fog as dense as ever. Bar: is falling slowly though.

18:45 – Fog began to lift and our ships to come into sight. Station keeping throughout the period of fog has been remarkably good, and now that we can see our ships, most of them are well up.
Have just received a signal from Halifax giving changes in the time of meeting the Bermuda section. I also received a corrected list of ships that sailed from Halifax. Two in the original list did not sail, while four other ships were added and are due to join up, if they can find us. Visibility is now up to four miles.


Sunday June 22, 1941

04:20 – In 45 00N 58 50W A number of ships from an outward bound Convoy came suddenly streaming through our columns. It was all most alarming, especially as the weather was not too clear, however, no accidents occurred. I dread to think what might have happened, especially if it had been dense fog. After all a ship lost in collision is just as great a loss as that of a ship torpedoed. In collision also two ships are involved with consequent loss or damage. The re-routing of our Convoy at the last moment was evidently the cause of this meeting. Also, it might be as well to warn Commodores, Escorts, and Masters of ships where they are likely to encounter other Convoys.

05:40 – A/C 094 degrees.

07:00 – A Stranaer flying boat in company.

08:00 – Flying boat informed Cruiser that Sydney ships were bearing 060 degrees 15 miles.

09:00 – 6.5 Kts.

09:14 – Cruiser left to make contact with Sydney ships.

09:30 – Norwgian ship Emma Bakke joined Convoy and took pennants 83.

Noon position – 44 58N 57 26W. Distance 146 miles. Av. Spd. 6.8 Kts. Total distance from port 260 miles. Bar: 29.73 Air 49, Fresh S.W. Wind, Mod Sea, low visibility.

13:05 – Cruiser reports Sydney ships now bearing 043 degrees 21 miles. Expect that they will join Convoy this evening about 20:00.

17:00 – Ship Kastor which has been absent from Convoy all day rejoined and resumed station, pennants No. 12. This ship must have got lost in the fog.

18:45 – Made R.V. position for the 24th.

20:30 – The Sydney ships are now in company on the port bow of Convoy. The light is failing but they have had their instructions through the Cruiser, who also gave them the R.V. for the 24th.


Monday June 23, 1941

Weather fine, but hazy. At daylight a number of ships were in sight, but the majority were in the mist, decided from soundings, that Convoy is south of track. Signalled escort Cruiser and stated that we were south, Cruiser agreed.

06:12 – A/C 082 degrees. Also signalled the alteration to be made at 14:00 Viz: 071, by signalling ships that we can see and asking them to signal ships beyond our range of visibility owing to haze, now find that nine Sydney ships joined, and that there is also another ship present, which I think must be Luculus. Have arranged pennant numbers for all ships from Sydney and have asked the Cruiser to go round the Convoy and notify them. This is being done.
One of our escorts we have not seen since we left Halifax on Friday, the other Corvette we saw once yesterday, and expect she is still present. Visibility has been low throughout.
Noon position – 44 57N 53 44W. Distance 160 miles. Av. Spd. 6.6 Kts. Total Distance 420 miles.

14:00 – In position Q.Q. A/C 073.

14:17 – Corvette Napanee rejoined convoy.

17:00 – 8.5 Kts. Believe BHX must be ahead of us, according to W/T message received, BHX was to be at P.P. several hours after us, but I think that BHX must have cut the corner and gone ahead.

20:30 – Received urgent message from Admiralty to make a drastic alteration of course.

22:00 – A/C 046 degrees. Weather very uncertain, as it has been since leaving, as visibility has been bad throughout. Now it is blowing N.E. 5-6, poor visibility.


Tuesday, June 24, 1941

03:25 – Cruiser signals that BHX is now 45 miles ahead of us.

04:00 – A/C to 054 as we appear to be North.

05:19 – Made corrected R.V. position for tomorrow.

05:20 – HMS Sandwich, Primrose and Hepatica joined Convoy. Hepatica has been sent to search for other sections of Convoy.

07:00 – Received instructions from Admiralty that SC 35 and this Convoy are to make one solid Convoy until local R.V. is reached. We must find the other sections first. Weather continues patchy.

10:00 – Altered course 20 degrees to starboard to avoid Virgin Rocks.
Noon position – 46 20N 50 26W. Distance 160 miles. Av. Spd. 6.6 Kts. We must have had current against us. Total distance from port 580 miles. Bar: 30.02 Air 44. moderating N.E. wind, moderate sea and swell. Overcast, and fog patches. Corvette reported having made contact with some stragglers belonging to SC 35.

19:00 – A/C 354 degrees.

21:00 – BHX section has at last been located and will join up tomorrow.


Wednesday June 25, 1941

Moderate visibility, light wind and slight sea.

08:00 – BHX in sight on port bow.
Noon position – 49 03N 49 49W. Distance 182 miles. Av. Spd. 7.5 Kts. Total Distance 762 miles. Wind fresh, moderate sea and swell. Fog patches.

15:00 – BHX coming into position astern, at same time SC 35 sighted ahead. 16 ships of Bermuda section now in station astern as well as a straggler from SC 35. I intended to try and reorganise Convoy so as to place as many tankers as possible in the center, but that will have to wait for clearer weather, at present fog patches descend on us without much warning. S/S Luculus a ship sent out from Halifax to join this Convoy is coming up astern one of the Corvettes reports.

17:00 – Made R.V. for the 27th.

20:04 – 6.5 Kts. Cannot overtake SC 35 tonight. Bar: is falling steeply.

20:05 – Opened out the Convoy to 5 cables.

20:33 – A/C 001 degrees Bar: 29.25 falling. We are in for trouble by the look of things.


Thursday June 26, 1941

Drizzling rain, overcast, moderately clear.

04:00 – A/C 039 degrees. SC 35 now ahead. 8 Kts.

06:23 – Turned Convoy 20 degrees to port to leave SC 35 to starboard. Wind increasing rapidly to gale force with rising sea. Bar: 28.90.

07:40 – A/C back to 039 degrees. SC 35 is going to form astern of us.

10:30 – Made R.V. for 28th, so if ships are scattered we should meet then.

11:00 – SC 35 now on the beam. Visibility is very low now and the wind is blowing a fresh gale. SC 35 will never be able to manoeuvre into station in this weather.

Noon position – 51 41N 49 20W. Distance 168 miles. Av. Spd. 7 Kts. Total Distance 930 miles. Bar: 28.86. Air 39. Full gale with a high dangerous sea. Convoy is now straggling, visibility is low due to driving rain. Reduced to 6.5 Kts.

16:00- Full gale, terrific squalls, very few ships in sight. Convoy badly broken up, I am afraid. Ocean Escort and about 15 ships in sight. Bar: 28.78, and still falling. I am very troubled and wonder what the night will bring. No. 31 S/S British Prince signals that she has lost two boats, is unable to steer at this slow speed in this weather, and is going on faster. Number 52 Southern Princess (listed in station 65 on the convoy form) has fallen across the Convoy, signalling steering gear jammed. she disappeared astern. Bar: 29.76 steady.

19:00 – Bar: is rising a shade, but squalls are terrific.


Friday, June 27, 1941

Bar: rising very slowly, and weather is definitely showing signs of improvement. Received SSSS signal from convoy ahead attacked by Submarines. Four ships gone. We do have plenty to worry about.

04:00 – 40 ships present or in sight, also our three escorts, and 1 Corvette HMS Windflower belonging to slow section. These little ships have been wonderful, but must have had a dreadful night. I am amazed that these small Corvettes maintained station with us throughout the gale. Stout fellows, and great hearts still exist.

06:00 – 41 ships present.

09:10 – Received “amended destination” signal from Admiralty. Will make the signal to ships concerned as soon as we have fine weather. Up to now I am not sure what ships are in the Convoy, as there are one or two in question. I have never had the weather to make the necessary signals, I have yet to station the ships properly. Fog and gales since sailing have made my task difficult beyond belief.


Friday, June 27, 1941

11:30 – Received “Amended Route” for this Convoy and for SC 35 from Admiralty. There is something seriously wrong with this as the date and position of local escort R.V. mean that we shall have to steam at 5.6 Kts., and many ships cannot steer at this speed.

Noon position – 55 37N 46 35W. Distance 153 miles. Av. Spd. 6.4 Kts. Total Distance 1083 miles. Fresh gale to moderate wind, hight to rough sea and swell. Bar: 29.05 falling. Air 43. Received signal from SC 35 Commodore giving his position and arranging for R.V. tonight. I do not think that it can be done. Consider that we should R.V. at daylight.

13:00 – Altered course 026 degrees. 6 Kts.

13:46 – Signalled R.V. for 29th. Weather is still unsettled and heavy rain has fallen all day, would be glad of a few hours of clear fine weather, so as to be able to see all the ships.

20:00 – Opened Convoy out to 5 cables for the night.

Saturday, June 28, 1941

Overcast, light N.E. wind, drizzling rain.

04:05 – Closed Convoy into 3 cables.

05:00 – A/C 039 degrees. Can see leaders of SC 35 on starboard quarter far astern. The rain ceased for a time and visibility improved.

07:22 – 6 Kts.

07:27 – Turned 90 degrees to starboard.

07:45 – Made another 90 degree turn to starboard, to reduce distance between Convoys.

08:03 – Rapidly running down towards the SC 35 crowd, so turned 180 degrees to port in complete turn. The ships are a little out of station as a result of this manoeuvre, but will soon be right again. Now on course 039 again.

09:00 – SC 35 is close astern. A number of signals received from Commodore of SC 35 complaining that our rear ships are straggling into the columns of his Convoy. I have made enough signals, but stragglers like the poor, are always with us.

09:00 to 11:00 – Signalled changes of destinations to ships in Convoy.

11:45 – Increased to 7 Kts. to take our Convoy out of the lines of SC 35.

Noon position – 55 25N 44 07W. Distance 135 miles. Av. Spd. 5.6 Kts. Total distance from port 1218 miles. Bar: 29.30 Air 43. Fresh north wind. Mod. sea and swell. Weather now becoming fine.

14:42 – 6.5 Kts.

14:00 to 16:00 – Changed the positions of a number of ships in the Convoy according to new destinations received. I have to try to place as many tankers in the middle columns as possible, but all cannot be placed in those columns.

15:30 – Tanker Southern Princess out of Convoy two days rejoined. I have placed her in position 85.

16:30 – Signalled an Admiralty message to the ships regarding Envelope “C”.

17:00 – Southern Princess reports that while 24 miles out from Convoy she could hear loud W/T Oscillations coming from Convoy.

17:12 – Repeated the R.V. Signal received from Commodore SC 35. He has informed me that he will make all courses and speeds for both Convoys, and also the R.V.’s, so responsibility for arriving at local R.V. must rest with the Commodore of SC 35. It is a very unsatisfactory situation. It would have been far better if I had been sent to Sydney to take the slow Convoy, then the Senior Officer would have been here in the lead.

17:30 – Made signal regarding W/T Oscillations. Reduced or increased speed several times in order to try and maintain a satisfactory distance ahead of SC 35.


Sunday, June 29, 1941

Moderate N.E. wind, and moderate sea and swell, inclined to freshen and sea to rise.

02:28 – Decreased speed to 6.5 Kts. Receiving signals from the Commodore of SC 35 regarding our speeds. It seems impossible to adjust the speed of two Convoys (separate), with two distinct Commodores.

07:53 – Made a signal regarding excessive smoke and dumping of rubbish in convoy.

Noon position – 57 08N 41 12W. Distance 142 miles. Av. Spd. 6 Kts. Total Distance from port 1360 miles. Bar: 29.67. Air 47. Fresh wind, rough sea and swell. Cloudy weather.

16:47 – Repeated R.V. for the first of July.

16:00 – Reduced to 6 Kts. We have drawn ahead of the other Convoy rapidly this afternoon. Made signal regarding alteration of time, clocks to be advanced one hour at midnight to Zone plus two.

20:50 – 6.5 Kts. Revs 38. Distance ahead of SC 35 is 7400 yards.


Monday, June 30, 1941

It is never dark now, only a few hours of dusk. Clocks were advanced 60 minutes at midnight.

03:55 – Ocean Escort made a signal regarding smoke in the convoy. I know it does get bad and yet I know how hard Engineers try to keep down the evil. The ships are not fitted with proper fans for ventilation and the coal is just smoky. The Maloja now gives us the hourly range distance from the Convoy astern.

10:04 – 7 Kts.

10:08 – Hoisted “E” flag and made an emergency turn of 45 degrees to starboard.

10:26 – Returned to mean course by emergency turn, hoisting “I” flag.

10:40 – Made an emergency turn of 45 degrees to port from the mean course.

10:55 – Returned to the course again. Convoy SC 35 followed our movements.

11:02 – Reduced to 6.5 Kts.

12:00 – Reduced to 6 Kts.

Noon position – 53 49N 38 42W. Distance 129 miles. Av. Spd. 5.6 Kts. Total distance from Halifax 1489 miles. Bar: 29.54 falling. Air 49. Wind S.E. 5 increasing. Sky heavily overcast. Drizzling rain and rising sea. I think that we are in for a little bad weather again.
16:20 – Repeated the R.V. signals as made by Commodore SC 35.

16:31 – Signalled alteration of time signal. The Bar: is steadily falling, and all points to bad weather.


Tuesday, July 1, 1941

Bar: 29.15 falling. Moderate head gale and rough sea. Ships pitching and labouring heavily, and steering badly. Shipping heavy seas. Revs. for 6 Kts, but actual speed is below 3 Kts.

04:00 – Received a destination change for S/S Ancylus, from Belfast to the Mersey. I will inform her when weather is finer.
07:00 – 6.25 Kts.
10:06 – 6 Kts.
12:25 – 6.5 Kts.
Noon position – 60 10N 37 07W. Distance 92 miles. Av. Spd. 4 Kts. Total distance 1581 miles. Bar: 29.06 Air 52. Moderate to fresh gale, high head sea and swell. Ships all labouring and steering badly at these low speeds, many falling athwart the columns. These ships cannot steer at the low speeds the slow Convoy ships are capable of doing. We need to be going faster, but if I attempt to go ahead I receive orders from the Commodore astern to keep the fast Convoy in station on his slow Convoy astern. I have already received signals of protest from Masters of ships in the Convoy over our changes of speed, but I cannot avoid making these changes, since I am ordered to maintain a gap of one mile between the rear of ships of this Convoy and the leading ships of the Convoy behind us. It is most difficult.
13:30 – 6.25 Kts.
15:07 – 6 Kts.
15:50 – 6.5 Kts.
16:00 – R.V. signal for the 3rd.
16:40 – Time alteration signal made.
17:45 – 6.75 Kts.
18:40 – 7 Kts. Received a number of signals regarding the relative positions of the two Convoys from the Commodore of SC 35. We are doing our best to maintain our distance, but the high sea, bad steering and straggling make it difficult.
19:46 – 6.5 Kts.


Wednesday, July 2, 1941

Wind and sea decreasing. Bar: steady or rising very slowly. Passing showers of drizzle.

04:00 – 5.25 Kts.
05:25 – 6 Kts. 60 54N 35 53W. Sunderland flying boat incompany. Made recognition signals, and circled the convoy.
07:07 – 6.5 Kts. Made various signals during the forenoon regarding station keeping.
Noon position – 61 15N 35 07W. Distance 85 miles. Av. Spd. 3.3 Kts. Total distance 1666 miles. Bar: 29.31 rising. Air 47. Strong N.W. wind and rough sea and confused swell. Overcast and showery.
13:05 – SC 35 is now close under our rear ships’ sterns. 6.5 Kts.
14:05 – 6.75 Kts.
16:00 – Signalled alteration of time.
19:00 – 6.5 Kts.
20:15 – 83(?) wheeled 30 degrees to starboard.
20:35 – Set course 082 degrees.
20:45 – 6.5 Kts. Singalled R.V. for 4th.
23:47 – 62 02N 33 00W. Friendly aircraft Sunderland in company.
23:56 – Received list of local escorts that will meet the Convoys tomorrow(?), July 4th 04:00 “Z”.


Thursday, July, 1941

Moderate to fresh wind and rough sea, overcast.

01:44 6.5 Kts.
06:10 – 6.75 Kts.
10:00 – Ships tested A.A. Guns.
10:30 – Tried to fly Kites, three managed to get them up, but most of them fell into water.
11:55 – A Corvette and rescue ship Copeland joined convoy. Copeland takes pennants 65. Position of joining as for Noon.
Noon position – 61 55N 39 59W. Distance 146 miles. Av. Spd. 6.4 Kts. Total distance 1818 miles. Bar: 29.70. Air 48. Fresh N.N.W. wind, moderate sea, but heavy confused swell. Overcast with some showers of drizzle.
14:05 – 6.5 Kts.
15:54 – R.V. for July 5th.
16:35 – 6.75 Kts. Wind falling light, sky clearing, high visibility. Radio oscillations are very bad in this Convoy and despite signals, the evil continues. Drastic measures must be taken to ensure that this menace is removed. We need more signals dealing with it, at present there are only two ambiguous signals that can be hoisted with regard to oscillations. We need a signal that can indicate the wavelength on which the disturbance is heard.
20:18 – 6.75 Kts.
21:10 – 7 Kts.
21:45 – A/C 105 degrees.


Friday, July 4, 1941

Light wind and smooth sea. Aircraft of the Coastal Command in company at various times during the night. There is no darkness up in these Latitudes, which has its advantages.

07:05 – 6.75 Kts.
08:08 – 6.5 Kts.
09:15 – Signalled ship Ancylus her new destination viz. the Mersey.
Noon position – 61 39N 25 56W. Distance 148 miles. Av. Spd. 6.4 Kts. Total distance from port 1966 miles. Bar: 29.90. Air 52. Moderate to light fresh winds, and slight sea. A number of local escorts for SC 35 joined up.
13:07 – 7 Kts.
16:00 – 61 33N 25 00W. Several ships of local escort for HX 134 joined. Following are the names of these ships, HMS Salamander, Britomart, Hollyhock, Carnation, St. Apollo, Angle, Nigella, Aubretia, St. Clair. HMS Bulldog proceeded to Iceland, will return tomorrow to this Convoy. HMS Maloja, together with the Newfoundland escorts, the rescue ship Copeland, and the oil tanker Sveve all left for Iceland. With them went HMS Ausonia and escorts from SC 35.
16:08 – 8 Kts.
16:30 – Rescue ship Perth joined Convoy.
17:00 – HMS Britomart closed us and fired a costain gun line across, attached to which was a tin containing news and the list of escorts in their formation.
19:20 – Increased to 8.5 Kts. Smoke of a westbound Convoy sighted on starboard bow.
19:45 – Made R.V. for the 6th.
20:35 – Corvette Nigella hoisted black pennant and dropped a number of depth carges, all well clear of Convoy.
21:26 – Sloop Britomart hoisted black pennant, Convoy turned 90 degrees to starboard by two emergency turns.
21:45 – Returned to course again.
23:15 – Ships sighted on port beam.


Saturday, July 5, 1941

HMS Sherwood escort for Iceland Convoy closed and signalled names of five ships and their speeds, these ships are to join up with HX 134. Positions in Convoy detailed and signalled to Sherwood.

00:55 – Reduced to 7 Kts. to allow Iceland ships to come up into station.
04:00 – 60 58N 20 37W. Iceland ships now in station.
04:15 – 8.5 Kts.
06:00 – Some of the ships have dropped astern. Reduced to 8 Kts.
08:09 – Convoy well together, increased to 8.5 Kts.
Following is the list of escorts now present:
HMS Britomart, Salamander, Aubretia, Nigella, King Sol, Sherwood, St. Clair, St. Apollo, Carnation, Hollyhock and HMS Salisbury. Corvette HMS Angle remained astern last night investigating a contact. During that time, when 40 miles astern she fell in with S/S Tredinnick which had dropped astern with boiler trouble yesterday. Angle is now taking that ship into the slow Convoy.
Noon position – 60 47N 19 35W. Distance 191 miles. Av Spd. 7.95 Kts. Bar: 29.50 falling. air 53. Now blowing a moderate to fresh gale with rising sea. Sky heavily overcast. Thick drizzle.
14:55 – 8 Kts.
16:15 – 7.5 Kts.
17:00 – Made the R.V. signal for July 7th. All the ships are keeping fairly well up except the small motor craft Lida, which will most likely be hove to in this weather. She will find the slow Convoy astern as weather improves.
21:30 – Dense fog set down, and wind fell lighter and hauled S.W.


Sunday, July 6, 1941

00:30 – Fog lifting. Opened Convoy out to 5 cables. 8 Kts.
01:14 – A Corvette on port beam dropped several depth charges.
06:20 – Fine weather. Closed columns to 3 cables.
08:00 – 8.5 Kts.
10:00 – 9 Kts. During bad weather HMS Linnet disappeared astern, but received information through the escorts that she is now with slow Convoy. Lida, which I had expected to be astern is well up and in station. On the other hand Oil Tanker Empire Gold pennants 82, is not present this morning. We have no information regarding her, and assume that she must have had engine trouble during the thick and bad weather yesterday, and dropped out. A ship in No. 1 Column made a signal accusing the Greek ship Kastor of laying an oil track. I arranged with the S.O.of Escort to investigate. Imagine that Kastor was pumping out bilges. Same ship was making black smoke all day today, despite our signals. However the smoke evil is bad in this ship and I have only been able to reduce it a little, by never ending complaints.
11:55 – HMS Bulldog returned from Iceland and rejoined Convoy.
Noon position – 60 08N 14 25W. Distance 158 miles. Av. Spd. 6.6 Kts. Total distance from Halifax along our track is 2315 miles. Bar: 29.49. Air 53. Moderate S.W. wind, fine weather. Moderate quarterly sea. Convoy in good order, but smoke evil is very disturbing, but nothing more can be done about it. Cheap coal bought by parsimonious owners, and badly arranged combustion systems is the cause.
19:06 – Passed a floating mine, 59 50N 12 20W. Convoy now making a steady 9 Kts. through the water, would like to try for more speed, but am afraid that it would only lead to straggling.


Monday, July 7, 1941

04:12 – Friendly aircraft in company. Think that it is a Whitley Bomber. Wind is now S.S.W., force 4 to 5. Overcast with nimbus cumulus along the southern horizon. I think it is just early morning showers, out-look is for fine settled weather.
09:00 – Made several changes of Convoy positions, so as to bring all Loch Ewe ships together. I had purposely retained oil tankers in the middle of Convoy for greater protection, disregarding actual destinations. Reduced to 8 Kts. for the changes to be carried out.
10:35 – 9 Kts. Made preparatory and instructional signal regarding the forming of two columns this evening when passing through the Minches. Loch Ewe ships will keep one mile to port of Convoy.
12:00 – A/C 131 degrees.
Noon position – 59 16N 7 36W. Distance 214 miles. Av. Spd. 8.9 Kts. Total distance from port of departure 2529 miles. Bar: 29.72. Air 56. Fine clear weather with a fresh south wind, slight sea. Convoy steaming at 9 Kts. and in good formation.
14:10 – Motor fish carrier Finlande dispatched independently, this ship was concerned about the condition of the fish and wished to go on. After consultation with the Escort the wish has been granted.
14:46 (14:48?) – Blue warning for G.B.M.S. 1.
16:20 – Made two more changes in Convoy, bringing a Mersey ship into column 5. Signal for Kites to be flown made today. 12 Kites aloft. Many ships tried, but either lost their Kites or failed to get them up.
18:10 – A/C 156 degrees.
19:22 – Butt of Lewis bearing 270 degrees. A/C 180 degrees.
20:05 – A/C 191. Loch Ewe section of 14 ships detached. Signal for two columns made.
21:45 – Passed through line of drift nets buoys belonging to Drifter Pd. 22. Unable to avoid this line of nets.
21:50 – Off Tiummpan Head. A/C 225 degrees.
23:30 – Kebock Pt. abeam. Passing through Sound of Shiant.


Tuesday, July 8, 1941

02:15 – Off Sound of Harris. A/C 192 degrees.
04:30 – Sighted an outward bound Convoy steering north.
05:10 – Ushinish Lighthouse abeam.
05:30 – Sighted two Anson Aircraft.
05:50 – Hoisted signal to form four columns.
06:06 – 6 Kts.
07:18 – 9 Kts. Convoy now in new formation. It is actually in 5 columns owing to Manchester City taking affairs into his own hands, and going back to the head of column three. I had intended four columns, but will manage well enough as things are.
09:07 – Reduced to 8.5 Kts. to allow stragglers to come up into station.
09:45 – Oil tanker Solstad pennants 42 hoisted N.U.C. signal and dropped astern.
10:00 – 9 Kts.
Noon position – 56 30N 7 19W (Skerryvore bearing S.E.). Distance 194 miles. Av. Spd. 8 Kts. Total distance from Halifax 2728 miles. Bar: 29.88. Air 62. Strong S.S.W. wind. Rough sea and long ocean swell.
13:19 – Skerryvore Lighthouse abeam. A/S 156 degrees.
16:00 – Wind falling light and sea going down. We have a strong spring tide against us and are not doing much in the way of actual speed.
16:30 – S/S Atlantic Coast, one of the small ships that came from Iceland, requested permission to proceed independently, as she wished to enter port for fuel. After consulting with the S.O. of Escort, the request was granted, and the ship left us.
18:45 – Oversay Light bearing 90 degrees. A/C 129 degrees.
19:20 – Received Admiralty instructions that Bristol Channel ships are to enter Belfast Lough for onward Convoy. These instructions passed to the ships concerned. Local Escorts now dispersing with the exception of one Corvette for the Clyde section, one for Liverpool section, and one for the ships going into Belfast Lough.
21:36 – Altkarry Head abeam.
22:07 – Mull of Cantyre abeam.
22:15 – A/C 142 degrees.
22:30 – Clyde ships dispatched to destination.
23:55 – 9.5 Kts. for Liverpool ships.
23:58 – Bristol Channel and Belfast ships sent into Lough.


Wednesday, July 9, 1941

00:15 – A/C 161 degrees.
01:30 – Mew Island abeam.
03:15 – A/C 173 degrees.
07:50 – A/C 127 degrees.
09:45 – A/C 090 degrees.
10:00 – Formed single line ahead. 13 ships in the line.
10:00 – 10 Kts.
11:30 – Passed swept channel light float and reduced to 8.5 Kts. Ships 10 cables apart. Convoy now ended and ships are to act independently. The Convoy that left Halifax on June 20th, and made contact with ships from Bermuda, Sydney and eventually from Iceland, has reached local waters without loss. Divine goodness has watched over us once again, and we are grateful that we have been spared to come to our desired haven.

In conclusion, I would pay tribute to the great assistance given to me in every way by Captain H. Hancock of the Manchester Division and his Officers. Captain Hancock has been tireless, and I have placed absolute confidence in his navigation, that confidence has been fully justified.

The Manchester Division is a suitable ship for Commodore and Staff, and all on board gave us every aid. I have written a letter to the owners of the ship expressing my appreciation of the treatment received.

With regard to my own Signal Staff I am enclosing a separate report but I can confidently state that no Commodore has been more loyally served by his Chief Yeoman, Ldg Telegraphist and signalmen, than I have been. With such a Staff my work has been much simplified.

I would also like to report favourably on the Chief Radio Officer, Mr. G. Britton, of this ship, he is a very efficient and capable operator, and nothing was too great a trouble to him.

Gerald N. Jones
Commodore R.N.R.

Convoy No. SC 039


SC 039 departed Sydney, Cape Breton on August 1, 1941. The HMS Maloja left the convoy on August 4. The convoy was made up of 36 vessels plus 21 escorts and arrived Liverpool on August 19, 1941.

Convoy No. ON 011


ON 011 departed Liverpool on August 30, 1941. The convoy was made up of 66 vessels plus 17 escorts and dispersed on September 11, 1941.

November 5, 1941 – December 8, 1941 – HMS Victory


During the second world war, HMS Victory was a Royal Navy shore training facility in Portsmouth, England. 9 months after his first visit to the Portsmouth Naval Barracks, Hayward is back for more training.

December 9, 1941 – February 3, 1942 – HMS Excellent


Following 4 weeks at HMS Victory, Hayward moves over to the Royal Navy Gunnery school at HMS Excellent.


“HMS Excellent is a Royal Navy “stone frigate” (shore establishment) sited on Whale Island near Portsmouth in Hampshire. HMS Excellent is itself part of the Maritime Warfare School, with a Headquarters at HMS Collingwood, although a number of lodger units are resident within the site, the principal of which is the Headquarters of Commander in Chief Fleet (Navy Command Headquarters).”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Excellent_(shore_establishment)

February 4, 1942 – February 17, 1942 – HMS Victory


Why all the training?

On February 18, 1942, Able Seaman Hayward Young is assigned to the HMS Frobisher.

HMS Frobisher


“The HMS Frobisher was a Hawkins-class heavy cruiser of the Royal Navy. She was built at Devonport Dockyard and launched on 20 March 1920. She spent the majority of her career as a cadet training ship. She saw brief service during the Second World War being used for naval gunfire support. Following the war, the vessel was scrapped in 1949.”

“The HMS Frobisher joined the 4th Cruiser Squadron of the Eastern Fleet in March 1942 and commenced operations in the Indian Ocean, escorting convoys around the African coast, spending brief periods in the Selborne dry dock at Simonstown, South Africa.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Frobisher_(D81)


HMS Frobisher – Details of War Service


Badge: On a Field White, a Griffin’s bead black, rising out of waves Gold and Blue.

M o t t o – Semper triuaphans: “Ever triumphant”

1 9 3 9

September 1939 In reserve at Portsmouth.

Selected for re-arming and refit.

October 1939 Taken in hand for refit at Portsmouth.

November 1939 Under Refit

January 1940 Under refit

February 1940 Transferred to Devonport for re-arming.

March 1940 Under refit at Devonport.

(Note: Two 7.5in mountings removed and replaced by four single 4in with 2 pdr Pom-Pom for Close Range AA defence against air attack.

January 1941 Under refit.

(Note: New centimetric surface warning Radar Type 271 installed abaft compass platform and fire control Radar Type 285 for main armament.

An aircraft warning Radar Type 281 using two aerials

units fitted at each masthead was also installed.

For details of the development and use of radar in RN see RADAR AT SEA by

D. Howse.

December 1941 Carried out Post Refit trials.

January 1942 Commissioned at Devonport manned by Portsmouth

Division ship’s company

Post refit trials in continuation.

February 1942 Nominated for service in Eastern Fleet with 4th Cruiser Squadron.


February 18, 1942 – May 2, 1943 – HMS Frobisher


Able Seaman Hayward Young is assigned to the HMS Frobisher on February 18, 1942, just 3 days before his 22nd birthday.

Completed Sea Trials and calibrations.

March 1942 – Passage to Scapa Flow to work-up with Home Fleet. Arrived at Scapa Flow and commenced work-up with ships of Home Fleet. Deployed to meet US Battleship USS WASHINGTON and US Aircraft Carrier USS WASP in NW Approaches During passage to Scapa Flow to reinforce Hone Fleet during allied landings in Madagascar (Operation IRONCLAD).

April 1942 Completed work-up and prepared for foreign service. Joined Ocean Escort for military convoy WS18 to Durban with HM Cruiser GAMBIA, HM Escort Destroyer TETCOTT and Dutch Destroyer VAN GALEN.)

(Note: HM Depot Ship HECLA was one of the ships in the convoy. Local Escort was provided by destroyers of Western Approaches Command. This convoy was part of build up for landings in Madagascar.

April 29th, 1942 – Called at Freetown.

While in Freetown, Able Seaman Hayward Young undergoes surgery for appendicitis. On May 3rd, Hayward is reassigned to the HMS Edinburgh Castle, a hospital ship in Freetown harbour. He will remain on board the HMS Edinburgh Castle until June 15. He is reassigned to the HMS Frobisher on June 16th.


May 3, 1942 – June 15, 1942 – HMS Edinburgh Castle (Freetown Harbour)

May 3rd, 1942 Sailed for Capetown with WS18 Note: HM Seaplane Carrier Albatross joined WS18 at Freetown.

May 6th, 1942 Detached during passage to escort merchant ship to Halvia Bay for affect repair.

May15th, 1942 Sailed from Walvis Bay due to boiler room steam leak.

May 18th, 1942 Took passage with HM Seaplane Carrier Albatross as escort for convoy. Met HM Battleship Resolution and four ship convoy off Durban.

May 27th, 1942 Detached from WS18 as escort for RMS Llandaff Castle to Kilindini.

Note: One source records ship went to Diego Suarez but this is to be confirmed.

June 1st, 1942 Under repair at Durban.

June 2nd, 1942 Escorted convoy to Kilindini. When released from IRONCLAD deployed with HM Aircraft Carrier Indomitable Interception of blockade runners and supply ships and convoy defence.


June 16, 1942 – May 2, 1943 – HMS Frobisher


Following surgery for appendicitis, Able Seaman Hayward Young is reassigned to the HMS Frobisher on June 16th. By this time, the HMS Frobisher is in Kilindini. Passage (for Hayward) from Freetown to Kilindini was on board a Sunderland Seaplane.

June 25, 1942 Passage to Durban for convoy escort.

July 2, 1942 Escorted convoy for passage from Durban to Indian ports.

July 7, 1942 Detached on relief by HM Battleship ROYAL SOVEREIGN off Diego Suarez and took passage to Kilindini with screen of 3 destroyers.

July 14, 1942 Escorted convoy from Kilindini to Durban.

July 30, 1942 Joined Ocean Escort for military convoy WS20 as relief for HM Cruiser GAMBIA.

August 1, 1942 Detached from WS20 when convoy split and deployed as Ocean Escort for WS20A during passage to Aden,

August 6, 1942 Detached from WS20A on arrival at Aden.

August 20, 1942 Escorted convoy from Aden to Persian Gulf.

August 24, 1942 Detached for repair at Colombo.

August 27, 1942 Taken in hand for repair.

September 1942 Under repair at Colombo

September 22, 1942 Carried out trials off Colombo after completion of work.

October 1942 Resumed convoy defence duty and patrol in Indian Ocean. Withdrawn for repair of machinery defect.

October 13, 1942 Arrived at Kilindini using only one shaft.

October 15, 1942 Under repair.

October 23, 1942 Carried out Trials on completion.

November, 1942 Convoy defence duty in continuation.

November 12, 1942 Joined Ocean Escort for RMS Athlone Castle and RMS Stirling Castle taking troops to Bombay. Note: These ships were part of WS24 which had been subject to unusual routing in Atlantic with an escort by US Navy ships. Relieved by HM Cruiser MAURITIUS off Seychelles, taking 1st South African Division to Durban from Suez.

November 17th, 1942 Joined escort in Indian Ocean for RMS HIGHLAND MONARCH and SS EMPIRE T

November 24, 1942 Detached to refuel at Diego Suarez and rejoined on November 25th.

November 30, 1942 Arrived at Durban with convoy.

January 1943 Convoy defence in Indian Ocean in continuation.

February 1943 Convoy defence in Indian Ocean in continuation.

March 1943 Passage to join military convoy WS26 during transit from Capetown.

March 10, 1943 Joined escort, for WS26 during passage from Durban.

March 11, 1943 Detached from WS26 as escort, for ships destined for Aden and designated WS26A. Note: Ships destined for Bombay were re-designated WS26.

March 15, 1943 Detached from W526A on arrival off Aden and took passage to join WS27.

March 29, 1943 Joined military convoy WS27 during passage from Durban to Aden.

April 9, 1943 Detached from WS27 on relief by HM Cruiser DURBAN during passage.

May 1943 Resumed Indian Ocean interception and trade defence duties. Passage to Simonstown. Taken in hand for refit by HM Dockyard Simonstown. Under refit in Simonstown. Note: Radar Type 282 for AA fire control may have been fitted by this time.

June 5, 1943 On completion carried out post refit trials and took passage to Kilindini with HM Battleship Resolution.

June 27, 1943 HMS Frobisher arrived at Kilindini

Source: http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-06CL-Frobisher.htm

June 26, 1943 – September 11, 1943 – HMS Resolution


HMS Resolution


“On the outbreak of World War II, HMS Resolution was part of the Home Fleet and carried out convoy escort duties in the Atlantic. Whilst supporting the Narvik campaign in May 1940, she was struck by a bomb at Tjeldsundet. In June, 1940 she joined ‘Force H’ at Gibraltar and took part in the destruction of the French Fleet at Mers-el-Kebir on 3 July 1940.


HMS Resolution

In September 1940, Resolution joined ‘Force M’ at Freetown, shelling French warships at the Battle of Dakar on 24 September 1940. The next day, she was torpedoed by the French submarine Bévéziers and badly damaged.

Following repairs in the United States, Resolution departed in February 1942 for Colombo and served in the Indian Ocean during 1942 and 1943.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Resolution_(09)


June, 1943 – HMS Resolution is at Durban undergoing refit.


June 15, 1943 – HMS Resolution escorted by destroyers Racehorse, Relentless and Rotherham sailed from Durban for Kilindini.


June 18, 1943 – At 20¼ S in the Mozambique Channel the Resolution force rendezvoused with Revenge and destroyers Napier and Quiberon who were sailing south to Durban.
Relentless and Rotherham detached from Resolution and joined Revenge.
Resolution continued towards Kilindini escorted by Racehorse and Napier.


June 21, 1943 – HMS Resolution, Racehorse and Napier arrived at Kilindini.

On June 26, 1943, Able Seaman Hayward Young is assigned to the HMS Resolution.


July 15, 1943 – The French battleship FS Lorraine, cruisers FS Suffren and Duguay, Trouin arrived Kilindini from Aden.

(These ships, part of the force known as French Force X, had been at Alexandria when France surrendered and had subsequently been disarmed. On 30/5/43 the French CinC of the Alexandria force, Vice Admiral Godfroy, agreed to turn the ships over to the Algerian Government which in effect meant they joined the Allied cause)


July 17, 1943 – Resolution, Lorraine, Suffren, Duguay Trouin escorted by destroyers Napier, Nepal, Racehorse, Relentless and Rotherham sailed from Kilindini for Durban.


July 21, 1943 – At 20¼ S in the Mozambique Channel the HMS Resolution force rendezvoused with destroyers Quickmatch and Qubieron.
Nepal and Relentless detached and returned to Kilindini.


July 21, 1943 – Resolution, Racehorse and Napier arrived at Kilindini.


July 24, 1943 – Resolution, Lorraine, Suffren, Duguay Trouin with destroyers Napier, Relentless, Rotherham, Quickmatch and Qubieron arrived at Durban.
Resolution and Revenge were nominated to return to the United Kingdom.


August 9, 1943 – Resolution and Revenge arrived in the Clyde and were decommissioned and placed in reserve.

Source: http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-01BB-Resolution.htm

September 12, 1943 – October 21, 1943 – HMS Victory


During the second world war, HMS Victory was a Royal Navy shore training facility in Portsmouth, England. In September of 1943, Hayward is again at the Portsmouth Naval Barracks.


October 22, 1943 – December 6, 1943 – RNS Dartmouth

Following 6 weeks at HMS Victory, Hayward is assigned to RNS Dartmouth.

After almost 4 years sailing the world with the Royal Navy, Able Seaman Hayward Young is assigned to the Royal Naval Station Dartmouth just outside Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. It is October 22, 1943. A lot had changed since Hayward first arrived in Halifax in January 1940.  For one thing the population of Halifax doubled during the war.

“Since Halifax was the western terminus for most Atlantic convoys, the British established HMS Seaborn, a Royal Naval Air Section (RNAS) lodger unit, at RCAF Station Dartmouth in September 1940. The RNAS was under the full jurisdiction of the Royal Navy, however, the RCAF provided a hanger and administrative buildings. The initial role for HMS Seaborn was to provide a shore base for Swordfish and Walrus aircraft assigned to ships of the Royal Navy’s Third Battle Squadron. However, as the convoy system gained momentum HMS Seaborn’s prime role was reassembling replacement Swordfish aircraft for the Merchant Aircraft Carriers. The RNAS also provided maintenance and shelter for Fleet Air Arm aircraft while disembarked from their parent Escort Aircraft Carriers and Merchant Aircraft Carriers docked in Halifax harbour. After the end of the Second World War HMS Seaborn was disbanded in January 1946.”

SOURCE: http://www.shearwateraviationmuseum.ns.ca/history/rcaf.htmOn the the 12 of September 1944


December 7, 1943 – October 21, 1945 – HMS Seaborn

Shortly after his arrival back in halifax, Hayward is reassigned to the nearby HMS Seaborn, a Royal Naval Air Station at RCAF Station Dartmouth.

Sometime in early 1944, Hayward would meet up with a fellow Newfoundlander. Her name is Olive Leona May Stone. Olive is serving in the RCAF and is stationed at RCAF Station Dartmouth. 

On the 12 of September 1944, Hayward and Olive are married in Halifax County, Nova Scotia.

October 22, 1945 – December 5, 1945 – HMS Victory

During the second world war, HMS Victory was a Royal Navy shore training facility in Portsmouth, England.

Hayward joined the Royal Navy on January 4, 1940 and made his first transatlantic crossing to HMS Victory, a naval training facility in England. He officially signed up for a period described as “until the end of the period of the present emergency”. Since then, 5 years have passed and now the the war is over. Hayward will make his final transatlantic crossing to HMS Victory, which will set the stage for his release from the Royal Navy.

December 6, 1945 – April 26, 1946 – RNS Avalon III


On December 6th, likely in anticipation of his release from the Royal Navy, Hayward was assigned to Royal Naval Station at St. John’s, NL. 

Officially, Hayward’s release date was April 26, 1946, but there may have been accumulated leave or simply an earlier (unofficial) departure. We do know that his discharge was effective on February 14, 1946. Hayward returned to Stephenville Crossing, the small town on the west coast of Newfoundland where he grew up.

For his military service, Hayward was awarded six medals;



The “1939 to 1945 Star” was awarded for any period (minimum of 180 days) of operational military service overseas between September 3rd, 1939 and May 8th, 1945.



Awarded only after the “1939 to 1945 Star” had been qualified for, the “Atlantic Star” was awarded for 180 days of additional military service overseas as ships crew (Royal Navy or Army) in the home waters or the waters of the Atlantic.



The “African Star” was awarded for 1 or more days military service at sea in the Mediterranean or in harbour in North Africa, Malta or Egypt between 1939 and 1943. A clasp “North Africa 1942-43” is attached to the ribbon.



The ” Defence Medal 1939 to 1945″ was awarded for non operational service overseas between September 3rd, 1939 and May 8th, 1945.



The ” Newfoundland Volunteer Service Medal 1939-1945″ was awarded to residents of Newfoundland and Labrador who volunteered and served with the British Forces outside of the Dominion of Newfoundland between September 3rd, 1939 and May 8th, 1945. The Dominion of Newfoundland became Canada’s 10th province in 1949. The award was created on November 6, 1981.



The “War Medal 1939-1945” was awarded to all full time personnel of the armed forces wherever they were serving, provided they had served at least 28 days between September 3rd, 1939 and May 8th, 1945.


On the 12th of September, 1944, Olive Leona May Stone of Lower Lance Cove, Random Island, Trinity Bay, NL, married Hayward Young of Stephenville Crossing, NL. Hayward was stationed at HMS Seaborn, a Royal Naval Air Station at RCAF Station Dartmouth.

Hayward Joseph Young passed at Stephenville Crossing, Newfoundland on November 6, 2008 at the age of 87.

error: Content is protected !!