Gallivanting 2009

Captain’s Blog, Thursday, June 18th, 2009


We’re back in Halifax.

Gallivanting was launched on Monday afternoon following  several weeks of work. My crew, Tom d’Entremont arrives later in the day. Tom will crew as far as Pubnico, where he grew up.

Among other things, Gallivanting will be sporting a new head, a new autopilot and new wind instruments. On Tuesday, the mast was successfully planted, with the rigging and sails taking up most of Wednesday and Thursday. We hope to depart the Dartmouth Yacht Club by the weekend.


Captain’s Blog, Friday, June 19th, 2009



According to Environment Canada, the weather forecast for the next week includes rain, drizzle, fog and wind. Strong winds and the occasional gale warnings were also included in their predictions. At least two slow moving low pressure systems are expected to pass just south of Nova Scotia over the period. Currently, winds are out of the southeast at about 5 knots. Based on the weather forecast, we decided to depart the Dartmouth Yacht Club on Friday, June 19th. before the weather sets in. Our planned destination would be St. Margaret’s Bay.

Shortly afternoon, we departed the DYC and by 1400 hrs. downtown Halifax was astern. We passed Chebucto Head at about 1500 hr. Conditions are overcast, but visibility is good and the winds are light.



At about 1800 hrs., we sail pass the iconic Peggy’s Cove lighthouse and start our entry into St. Margaret’s Bay.



We arrive at Shining Waters Marina at about 2100 hrs.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, June 20th, 2009


We decide to remain at the marina for another day. In the afternoon, we carry out sea trials to calibrate the auto pilot and the speed log.


Captain’s Blog, Sunday, June 21st, 2009


In the early morning, we are awakened by strong wind gusts. By 1100 hrs, the winds gusts had moderated but the winds remain at about 20 kts out of the east. We depart at 1125 hrs, with a destination of Chester, which is located near the bottom of Mahone Bay.

By the time summer arrived at 1445 hrs, Big Tancook Island and Little Tancook Island were coming out of the fog. We are doing 6 knots with the just the jib out. The swells are about 2 meters and the winds remain at about 20 knots.

We tie up at “The Rope Loft” at about 1630 hrs. “The Rope Loft” is a restaurant, pub and marina on the old wharf in historic Chester. We are welcomed by the very friendly staff and are invited to stay the night on condition that they get the pleasure of serving us dinner. It is an offer that we could not refuse. Our dinner included a generous bowl of seafood chowder, fresh mussels and an excellent Haddock entree.



Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009


After a second night on the dock at “The Rope Loft”, we depart Chester at 0925 hrs. Once out into Mahone Bay, we cruise past Oak Island and is reminded of all the pirate and treasure stories that come out of this area. After fuelling up, we head for historic Lunenburg. As we enter the harbour on radar, the stern of the Bluenose II appears out of the fog. She is returning to her home port from Halifax. We decide to tie up next to the Fiona, a sloop out of New York. Captain Eric Forsyth and crew are heading for Greenland and maybe even beyond.



Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, June 24th, 2009


We decide to spend an extra day in Lunenburg. Several outstanding issues on Gallivanting are resolved and the remainder of the day is spent walking the waterfront.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, June 25th, 2009


We are awakened to things moving about on board. It is 0500 hrs. Surprise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gallivanting had heeled over at least 100. We are on the bottom. It was a new moon and we experienced a low, low tide. It is at least two hours before we are afloat again. At 0800 hrs, we depart Lunenburg and after rounding the headland, we navigate our way up the Lahave River.

The Lahave area is of particular interest to Tom and I. It was four hundred years ago that our ancestors arrived in this river. We cruise pass the national historic site, Fort Marie de Grace, where Issac Razilly arrived from France with some of Canada’s earliest pioneers in 1632.

We continue up the winding river and visited the town of Bridgewater. After lunch, we head back down the river and tie up at the private dock of the “Harbour Master”. We are welcomed and invited to join a group of friends for a most enjoyable cruise, affectionately referred to as the “Chicken Cruise”. Thanks guys.



Captain’s Blog, Friday, June 26th, 2009


Again, we find ourselves heeled over and sitting on the bottom. This time we were warned that this may happen on the early morning low tide.



By 0800 hrs, we are afloat and depart down river. We cruise pass Fort Marie de Grace for the second time and then out into the fog.

The winds are light as we motor down the South Shore, wondering when we are going to do some sailing. As we enter Liverpool Bay, we catch glimpses of blue sky and the winds pick up. We managed to sneak in two hours of sailing before heading into Liverpool. The sails come down near the pulp mill and we make our way up the river until we reach a bridge and can go no further. We turn around and made our way into Brooklyn Marina, where we are greeted by Claire at about 1700 hrs.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, June 27th, 2009


We remain at the dock for a second day. There is a light overcast with the occasional shower. A social is planned for the afternoon and evening. The afternoon is spent on line.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, June 28th, 2009


It is about 0920 hrs, when we shove off. The winds are out of the Northeast at ~ 20 kts. The seas are one to two meters and some wind gusts reach 30 kts. Once we round Western Head and head North, we are able to put out the jib and for the remainder of the afternoon, we are able make 5 – 6 kts on just the jib. We arrive at Shelburne Marina at 1730 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, July 12th, 2009


By now, I would think that someone may be wondering about our whereabouts. Well, I finally got on line and I will try to bring you up to date.

On Sunday, June 28th we departed Shelburne for Pubnico, Tom’s hometown. There was a swell, but the winds were light and the sun peaked out of the fog now and then. It was late in the day, before see the windmills at Pubnico Point. We tied up to a d’Entremont lobster boat at about 1930 hrs.



The town of Pubnico, the oldest Acadian community in the world, was founded by Philippe Mius d’Entremont in 1651. I had the pleasure of meeting many of Philippe’s descendants, including Delmar and Sandra, who were most kind and accommodating.

For the next few days, Tom and I were the guests of Pubnico, which is basically being the guests of the descendants of Philippe Mius d’Entremont. Tom was my personal guide. All this may have been old school for Tom, but for me, it was a lot of fun.



By Friday, July 3rd, Tom and I were driving down the road to Halifax. Tom will join his partner, Joan, and they are off to Boston by land. Thanks for everything, Tom. I spent the weekend with family which included a wedding and a christening.



On Monday, July 6th, I meet up with my new crew at the Halifax airport. Bob, a friend from my job days, will join Gallivanting for the passage from Pubnico to Boston.

Upon our return to Pubnico, we again visited Delmar and Sandra, to return their car and say goodbye. Thank you so much for the use of your car for the weekend. It certainly made the logistics much easier. That evening Bob was introduced to sailing.

The next day, we acquired some American currency and tied up a few loose ends.



On Wednesday, July 8th, we untied from the lobster boat, and departed Canada for the United States. The passage will be an overnighter and will take about 20 hours.



We were able do some sailing until about noon, at which time the winds became quite light. We motored off into the night taking 2 hour shifts. I was at the wheel in the early morning, when the moon broke through the cloud cover for short periods. Thursday, July 10th was turning into a beautiful day, with lots of sunshine. Could it be that we were out of the fog?



As we approach the coastline, we started seeing the lobster traps. More traps that you could ever imagine. Hundreds, thousands, millions, trillions…………likely more. There is no doubt that Maine has most of the worlds lobster pots.

We tied up at a mooring in Northeast Harbour at 0800 hrs. We called customs and they told us that it be a few minutes before they to arrive. He arrived at 1200 hrs.

After clearing customs, we proceeded into the harbour and rented a mooring for $25.00. The day turned into a beautiful calm and warm evening.

Northeast Harbour is quite a small community that most likely doubles in population in the summertime. It is definitely a destination for boaters. It is also the home of Morris Yachts, while across a the way in Southwest Harbour, there is Hinkley Yachts.



On Friday, July 10th we untied from the mooring at 1030 hrs. and proceeded south through the Western Way and into the Eggemoggin Reach. Our passage alternated from sail to motor as the wind came and went. We saw more sail boats today that we saw in the two weeks of cruising on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. It would also appear that we may have arrived into summer.





Arrived Camden, Maine at about 1930 hrs. After visiting the town in the evening, we we decided to continue on into the morning.



We departed Camden at about 11:30 hrs. on Saturday, July 11th. The winds were on the nose and since we did not plan on going far, we decided to tack into the 20 -30 knot wind. Needless to say we had a very heeled day. We dropped anchor in Rockland Harbour at about 15:45 hrs. After an early happy hour, we took the dingy into town, where the North Atlantic Blues Festival was well under way. We had dinner and a few beers and returned to the boat early, before the rain.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, July 12th, 2009


A cold front, with a little rain, went through overnight. By 11:00 hrs. the sun is out again. We will remain on the hook for another day.


Captain’s Blog, Monday, July 13th, 2009


We weight anchor at 1045 hrs.  Another beautiful weather day, albeit very little sailing. We arrive in Boothbay Harbor at about 1730 hrs. Boothbay Harbor is still a quaint quiet harbour, but has all the signs of becoming a tourist town. We tank the diesel and water ($5.00 for water). We drop anchor off hospital point at about 1800 hrs. Dinner at Mc Seagull’s was very good.


Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, July 14th, 2009


We weigh anchor at 0945 hrs.  It is another beautiful day. At about 1300 hrs, we lift the sails, but the winds soon die. Dropped anchor in Portland, Maine at about 1600 hrs.

Made a dinghy run into town for beer and had dinner onboard, BBQ’d chicken.





Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, July 15th, 2009

Today is provisions day, so with runners, knapsacks and bags, we head into town at 0930 hrs. After hiking for about a mile, we make our first stop at the local U-Haul, where we attempt to get a propane tank fill. It is here that learn about the OPD. Apparently, Canadian Propane tanks do not have an “Overfill Protection Device”. Most of the morning was spent buying two new tanks and getting them filled. Oh yeah, we also managed to pick up an ample supply of groceries.

The afternoon was spent on board. In the evening we manage to put together a meat sauce for pasta.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, July 16th, 2009

We departed the anchorage at about 0830 hrs. Today, we expect to arrive in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. We motor most of the day, with a tail wind of about 5 kts.

The border between Maine and New Hampshire is the Piscataqua River. Following a cruise up the river in significant current, we tie up at the Portsmouth Yacht Club, which is on the New Hampshire side of the river. We are assigned a mooring in Maine, on the other side of the river. We tie up to PYC mooring in Pepperell Cove near Kittery point at about 1700 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Friday, July 17th, 2009


We untie from the mooring and drop the anchor nearby. We manage to solidly hook a ledge. We do make another visit to the PYC for shower. Bob spends some time ashore while I catch up on some boat maintenance.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, July 18th, 2009


We weigh anchor at about 1030 hrs. There is very little wind and once we make our way back out along the coast, there is fog. At 1400 hrs, we are near the entrance to the Merrimack River. As we approach the shoreline, we come out of the fog and begin seeing many people, in boats as well as on the beaches. The weather is sunshine, hot and humid. Fishing boats (recreational) are buzzing around like seagulls in a feeding frenzy. The channel is narrow and the tidal current is strong, at about 2 kts. After about an hour, we reach the town of Newburyport, Massachusetts. We rent a mooring from the “American Yacht Club” and tie up at about 1530 hrs. After happy hour, we head into town for dinner. We are having so much fun, we decide to stay another night.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, July 19th, 2009


We wake up to a beautiful, sunny and warm morning. We have dedicated the morning to laundry. In the PM, Bob hikes into town for more provisions, while I try to find some wireless access. Today, dinner is on board.


Captain’s Blog, Monday, July 20th, 2009


Following a breakfast of bagels, we top up our water, weigh anchor and depart Newburyport at about 1030 hrs. Winds are forecasted to light again today. We motor into Gloucester in the early afternoon and anchor at about 1500 hrs.







Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, July 21st, 2009


We wake up to sound of rain on the deck. The forecast is rain all day. So we decide to stay.



Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009


We depart Gloucester in the fog at about 1000 hrs. We motor out of the harbour and head southwest into Salam Sound. We make a visit to Marblehead before cruising into Salem Harbor. We must be getting close to Boston, moorings are now $45.00 per night.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, July 23rd, 2009


We remain on the mooring in Salem Harbor. Following a dinghy ride to shore and a short walking tour of the town, we are offered the use of the marina truck to pick up groceries. We gratefully accept and Gallivanting is re-provisioned by late afternoon.

The plan for tomorrow is to take the high speed ferry into Boston. While in Boston, I will bid adieu to Dr. Bob and welcome my new crew.


Captain’s Blog, Friday, July 24th, 2009


Early in the morning (……..maybe 0200 hrs), the winds pick up and by 0800 hrs, they are doing about 30 kts., with gusts to 40. Gallivanting is rockin’ n rollin’ in 4 foot waves. The ferry has been cancelled and the launch operator says that it is too rough to do a pick up. What is more significant is that the Admiral is due to arrive in downtown Boston at 1335 hrs.

During a lull in the winds and after several attempts, the launch manages to collect the crew. We hitch a ride to the train station, where a train is just about to depart for Boston. Linda arrives at about 1400 hrs., while Dr. Bob’s bus is scheduled to depart Boston at about 1700 hrs. After making our goodbyes, the Admiral and I find our way back to Salem, where we enjoy a BBQ on board.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, July 25th, 2009


Following a much quieter night on the “ball”, we are greeted by a beautiful sunny day. We manage to catch the 10 o’clock ferry and enjoy a most wonderful boat ride into Boston “hah bah”.

After coffee outside, we walk along Atlantic Avenue and find our way into that part of North Boston, where a lot of Italians live. How did that happen? It is summertime and there are many celebrations and feasts, albeit we were unable to find the feast of St. Linda.

During the afternoon, we tour the “hah bah” front and by evening, we are back in the North Boston, enjoying pasta at one of the fine local Italian restaurants. After a most wonderful day, we catch the 7 o’clock ferry back to Salem.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, July 26th, 2009


The weather is overcast and humid, when we depart Salem at 0930 hrs.  The wind is out of the South, which means another day on the engine. It is a wonder that the old engine still runs.

We arrive in Scituate Harbor at about 1330 hrs. It is very warm, but there is a nice breeze.



Captain’s Blog, Monday, July 27th, 2009


We decide to stay an extra day in Scituate Harbor. In the morning, we tie up at the Scituate Boating Club, where we fill our water tanks and charge our batteries.

While there, we meet the Commodore, who hails (originally) from Canada. We also meet Pete and Sophie, who are having engine difficulties. After a collective effort, the engine is removed from their boat and is ready to go out for repairs. Later, we have beers at a local establishment. Thanks, guys.



Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, July 28th, 2009


After getting a pump-out (they are free down here….), we depart Scituate Harbor at about 1000 hrs. It is warm and sunny, with light Easterly winds. Our destination is Sandwick Harbor, near the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. It is quite a small harbour and there are only docks. We tie up at about 1500 hrs. Since there is a significant tidal current in the canal, we check with the locals as to the best departure time for tomorrow. For Wednesday, July 29th, the current starts running West at about 0400 hrs and ends at about 1000 hrs. After 1000 hrs, the current reverses and runs East. The canal is about 8 miles, so if can leave by 0700 hrs, we get a boost.



Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, July 29th, 2009


After a very humid night, we are awake by 0600 hrs. We depart shortly after 0700 hrs.

With the wind on the nose, we hop the lunar express and reach speeds over ground of 10 knots. By 0800 hrs, we are exiting the canal, only to find very short choppy seas that occur when the winds are blowing against the current.

After a couple of uncomfortable hours in Buzzards Bay, we enter Woods Hole and make our way over to Vineyard Haven on Martha’s Vineyard. By noon, we are on a mooring in the outer harbour.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, July 30th, 2009


Without going ashore, we depart Vineyard Haven at about 1100 hrs. We sail over to Wood’s Hole, only to find that they do not have public moorings. We then head back into Buzzard’s Bay and tack into the Southwest. As we pass Cutty Hunk Island, we are open to the ocean and feel the ocean swells.                                                                            We arrive at Sakonnet Harbor, Rhode Island at about 1900 hrs. It is a small working harbour with little facilities.



Captain’s Blog, Friday, July 31st, 2009


Although the engine started, the oil pressure is now zero, so we shut down and go to work. I strip the oil pump and despite being able to un-seize the pump, we were not able to get any oil pressure. We find that the outer rotor is seized. This is not a good sign. It will be another night in Sakonnet Harbor.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, August 1st, 2009


Today we hold a post mortem for “big red” and come to terms with the implications of having to re-power the boat while underway.

In the AM, we call Dan, at Kiwi Marine Services. Dan is originally from “down under”, but now lives in the Newport, Rhode Island area.

In the PM, we call “Boat U.S.” towing services and get the boat towed about 17 miles into Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Cruising by Newport on this beautiful afternoon was not exactly as we had envisioned it, but it was none-the-less enjoyable.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, August 2nd, 2009


We are invited out for breakfast by Jim and Karla of “Gossamer Wings”, who are in port getting repairs to their boat.

Since it is the weekend, things are quiet around the Hinckley yard. We continue to be amazed by the size of the boats in this area.



The discussions re: re-powering continue with “Kiwi” Dan.


Captain’s Blog, Monday, August 3rd, 2009


Although, the activity in the yard has picked up from the weekend, it is obvious that the boating business has slowed.

We have more discussions with “Kiwi” Dan. We will have to scope out what engine will fit into the hole that will be left by the removal of “Big Red”.


Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, August 4th, 2009


The crane is ready. It is about 0800 hrs. and the engine is coming out.



Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, August 5th2009


The travel lift is ready. It is about 0800 hrs. and Gallivanting is lifted out of the water and placed on the hard, where it will sit for at least a week.

The afternoon is spent preparing the engine room for a new engine.



In the meantime, we meet up with Jim and Karla of “Gossamer Wings”. We enjoy a lovely evening in Newport and have beers and New England clam chowder at the “Black Pearl”.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, August 6th, 2009


Even though we are still nervous about the fit, a new engine has been ordered. Fitting a “V” drive has it’s challenges.

In the PM, Dan and I start cutting down the engine beds in anticipation of the delivery of a new engine. The new engine will have to sit more forward and lower than the Westerbeke.


Captain’s Blog, Friday, August 7th, 2009


We finish cutting down the beds and fit some very sturdy aluminum angle.



Captain’s Blog, Saturday, August 8th, 2009


Dan is off sailing for the weekend. In the meantime, I remove the shaft, the prop and the seawater strainer. I also repair several leaks.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, August 9th, 2009


The weather is overcast and warm. We decide to take the day off. Our American friends, Jim and Karla, who have a car, take us on a driving tour of the Rhode Island area.


Captain’s Blog, Monday, August 10th, 2009


The weather is a very warm and humid.

In the evening, we enjoy lobster, corn and wine with Jim and Karla.

Happy 20th, Wayne & Linda.



Captain’s Blog, Friday, August 14th, 2009


After a very rainy day yesterday, we wake up to a beautiful sunny day.

Bon voyage to our new found friends, Jim and Karla, who have moved on.

The boat is now ready for the new engine, but the engine has not yet arrived. The latest word is that it will be here today or Monday. A new (larger) raw water strainer, thru hull and ball valve have been installed to accommodate the new engine. A new shaft (a little longer) and cutlass will be installed with the new engine.

To help distract ourselves from these frustrating delays, we decide to rent a car for the weekend and do some touring. At least 4 sunny days are in the forecast.

We pick up the car at about 1400 hrs and tour the Newport area. They build big houses here, or I should say they built big houses here.



Captain’s Blog, Saturday, August 15th, 2009


Another beautiful summer day.

Our outing today is to Providence, the largest community in the state of Rhode Island. Once in the city, we find our way to a area called Federal Hill, which is referred to as the “Heartbeat of Providence”. After strolling the streets of this Italian community for several hours, it becomes clear that the emphasis is on food.

In the evening we dine at one of the local restaurants and are not disappointed.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, August 17th, 2009


More sunshine. A short drive takes us to Connecticut and a visit to Mystic Seaport, where a restoration of the old port is well under way.



Captain’s Blog, Monday, August 18th, 2009


………….Still more sunshine. Laundry, groceries and beer run consumes the morning, while the rental is returned in the early PM.

Upon our return to “the yawed”, we find a box labelled Yanmar. Yes, it is the new engine.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, August 17th, 2009


We still have the sun. I can only assume that summer is finally here. Unfortunately, we will have to enjoy it from “the yawed”, at least for the time being.

By 1000 hrs, the crane is ready.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, August 20th, 2009


The sailing vessel “Yari” arrived in the Newport area on Wednesday.

These last few days have been busy putting the finishing touches on the engine beds and rough aligning the shaft. We plan to bolt the engine down tomorrow.

A new shaft is on order, but not expected until Monday.

Hurricane “Bill” is nearing Bermuda and  and is expected to be off the New England coast by Sunday. In the “Yawed”……….., on the hard………….., is likely the best place to be for the weekend.


Captain’s Blog, Saturday, August 22th, 2009


It has been three weeks since we were towed into Portsmouth.

The delivery of the shaft has been delayed until Tuesday, at which time we expect to complete the engine installation.

“Bill” is expected pass about 200 miles off the coast overnight. High winds and surf are expected in the area.


Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, August 26th, 2009


We are now well into our forth week and still awaiting the big splash.

The new shaft arrived today and guess what……., after more than a week of anticipation, it is too short. Following a very short  phone call, the supplier has promised to special deliver the new and improved shaft tomorrow. In the meantime, most of the loose ends on the engine have been tied off.

My new crew, Barry Lomond, is expected to arrive on Saturday, at about the same time is  hurricane “Danny” is expected to skirt New England on it’s way to Nova Scotia.


Captain’s Blog, Friday, August 28th, 2009


As promised, the new and improved shaft arrived late yesterday.

Today, the new shaft is installed, the engine is aligned and Gallivanting is put back in the water.

We carry out the first sea trails and things go very well.

There are no vibrations and lots of power.



Captain’s Blog, Saturday, August 29th, 2009


The day is spent putting the boat back together.


Captain’s Blog, Sunday, August 30th, 2009


In the morning, some minor alterations are made to the galley cabinetry to accommodate the new engine.

Barry arrives at noon.

At about 1400 hrs., after four weeks, two hurricanes and some of the most beautiful weather of the summer, Gallivanting departs for Newport.

We arrive Newport at about 1600, where we pick up a mooring in Brenton Cove.



Captain’s Blog, Monday, August 31th, 2009


In the morning, we take the dinghy onto Newport for provisions and to catch up on some laundry.

At about 1400 hrs., we fuel up and depart for Block Island.

We drop anchor in the “Great Salt Pond” and retire.



Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, September 1st,2009


During the night, we drag anchor about 300 feet, with no issues. We sail out of the anchorage at about 1045 hrs., but end up motoring as the winds dropped off. There is not a cloud in the sky, which ends in a beautiful sunset.

We arrive in Port Jefferson in darkness at about 2300 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009


We wake up to another beautiful day at about 0630 hrs. and depart at about 0730 hrs.

Long Island Sound continues to narrow and the tidal currents become more noticeable. The flood current is in our favour all the way to City Island, New York, where we arrive about 1400 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, September 3rd, 2009


We depart City Island and head down the East River on an ebb current at about 1045 hrs.

The weather remains great, as we cruise into New York City, past Hell’s Gate, with a current of about 4.5 kts. Speed over ground sometimes reaches 12 kts. as we cruise the south side of Manhatten Island.

After going under the Brooklyn Bridge, we find ourselves in New York Harbor, with Liberty Island, Ellis Island and Governor’s Island. We cruise the harbor for a couple of hours before heading up the Hudson River.

Shortly after passing under the Tappen Zee bridge, we arrive at the Nyack Boat Club at out 2000 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Friday, September 4th, 2009


With clear skies and a brisk north wind, we depart the Nyack Boat Club at about 0930 hrs. At 1600 hrs., we stop at Roger’s Point to refuel.

After another good day on the water, we arrive the Poughkeepsie Yacht Club at about 1700 hrs.

It is a warm sunny evening.



Captain’s Blog, Saturday, September 5 th,2009


After a very light overnight rain, the skies are clearing as we depart at 0830 hrs. We are able to catch the flood current each day, which means a boost in speed of 1 to 2 kts.

We arrive Castleton-on-the-Hudson at 1515 hrs. It is here that we de-mast for our entry into the canal system.




Captain’s Blog, Sunday, September 6 th,2009


Today is a work day. We remove the mast and build stands to support it on deck for our passage through the canal system. We meet some of the club members and socialize a little in the evening.



Captain’s Blog, Monday, September 7th, 2009


In the morning, we do the 50 hour service on the new engine, with new oil and a new filter. The motor mounts are checked and re-tightened.

With the mast laid horizontal on deck, we depart Castleton after lunch. In Troy, we enter Lock # 1, which goes very smoothly.

We arrive at lock # 2 at about 1530 hrs., where we tie up for the evening.



Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, September 8th, 2009


It is foggy when we enter Lock # 2 at 0900 hrs.

Between Lock # 6 and Lock # 7, we break an enginre belt. We run on a bungee chord until Lock # 9, where the s/v  Altona rounds a bend in the river.

After making our hellos, we decide to tie up on the north wall of Lock # 9 for the night. The first mate, Wendy, whips up a Linguini Alfredo, while the boys tell wild accounts of their nautical adventures and ………drink rum. Ralph offered to part with an engine belt that seemed to fit the new Yanmar. Thanks Ralph, it worked out well. Good luck to you both.





Captain’s Blog, Wednesday, September 9th, 2009


At about 0800 hrs., we bid “Bon Voyage” to Ralph and Wendy.

Could it be that we are going the wrong way?

We wind our way through the canal until we arrive in Utica at about 2000 hrs (after dark).



Captain’s Blog, Thursday, September 10th, 2009


It is a clear and cool September morning, when we depart the town dock in Utica at 0620 hrs.

As we pass the town of Rome, we decide to stop and get some fuel. We tie up at a rickety dock and walk into town with two jerry cans and grab a quick breakfast.

At the entrance to Lake Oneida, we do a regular fuel up. After crossing the lake, we do one more Lock, before tieing up at a dock in the town of Phoenix at about 1800 hrs.


Captain’s Blog, Friday, September 11th, 2009



We depart Phoenix at about 0730 hrs. It is quite cool, but sunny with minimum cloud.

We arrive at the Oswego Marina at about noon. We have an appointment to step the mast at 1400 hrs. By “Happy Hour”, Gallivanting, with mast up, is starting to look like a boat again.



Captain’s Blog, Saturday, September 12 th,2009


Most of the day is spent, rigging, putting on the sails and cleaning the canal dirt off the deck.

In the afternoon, we move the boat to the wall and shortly afterwards, we spot Iron Genny looking for a place to park. We call them on the radio and they tie up next to us.



Captain’s Blog, Sunday, September 13th2009


As we depart at 0700 hrs, we wave goodbye to Roger and Hanni.

Could it be that we are going the wrong way?

Lake Ontario welcomes us with a 20 knot wind out of the West. We decide to head for Rochester, where we arrive at 15oo hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Monday, September 14 th,2009


Before departing Rochester Yacht Club at about 0900 hrs, we top up on diesel. The winds are out of the South-Southwest at about 12 kts. We raise the sails and head toward the North side of Lake Ontario. Our destination is Cobourg or Newcastle.

Near mid-lake, the winds are out of the West at about 20 kts. As we approach the North shore, the winds reach as high as 30 kts.

After a wild ride across the lake, we arrive Cobourg at 1745 hrs.



Captain’s Blog, Tuesday, September 15 th,2009


We depart Cobourg at 0630 hrs.

The skies to west are clear and the winds are out of the North at about 10 kts, so we motor sail most of the way to Toronto.

We motor in through the Eastern Gap and out the Western Gap before arriving at Lakeshore Yacht Club at about 1700 hrs.



Epiblogue (sic)


After two summers of cruising on the East coast, Gallivanting is parked back at the home club.

Many thanks to Ralph, Tom, Robert (Dr. Bob) and Barry for your assistance, company, patience and whatever else it takes to “put up with” the skipper.

For those of you who followed us along, thank you for your interest. We hope you enjoyed it.

I have reserved my special thanks for my partner in life, who puts up with me on an ongoing basis. Thank you so much for being there for me………..I’m home.


’til the next time……………………..