Gallivanting 2017 


Captain's Blog, Sunday, July 16th, 2017


Today, we rowed ashore and checked out the town of St. Anthony. We managed to fill our water tanks at the public wharf, but decided not to stay any longer than necessary.


A strong west wind would be problematic.


Tomorrow, we will focus on resolving a couple of issues. First, we need to get a gas tank for our outboard, to replace the leaky one. Secondly, we need to resolve a siphoning issue with  the bilge pump. We also need some groceries and maybe some beer.


Captain's Blog, Saturday, July 15th, 2017


We again wake up to sunshine. With a forecast for light to moderate winds out of the south, we weigh anchor and head toward Cape Bauld, with a destination of St Anthony, where we plan to spend at least a couple of nights.


Cape Bauld, the most northerly point of the island of Newfoundland.


Lots of icebergs


Linda thinks that this trip is taking a toll on me.


We departed at 08:45 and rounded Cape Bauld at 09:30.

The real winds turn out to 20 to 30 kts, sometimes gusting much higher. Lots of bergs.

We arrived at St. Anthony at 13:30. Dropped anchor in the west end of the harbour.

Welcome back to cell sevice.


Captain's Blog, Friday, July 14th, 2017


We woke up to sunshine, much calmer conditions and no cell service. Cell service is important to us for weather forecasts and calling Mom.

After rowing our dinghy ashore, we hike into L’Anse Aux Meadow for a tour of the 1000 year old Norse village.



Visiting with Wulfric at L’Anse Aux Meadow.


Betty has been a little reclusive and maybe she's not enjoying the icebergs all that much. I did find her one day, catching up on the news.



Following our visit to yesteryear, we stopped by the Northern Delight Restaurant in Gunner’s Cove for a feed of Fish and Chips (fresh cod).

We had another restful night on the hook.


Captain's Blog, Thursday, July 13th, 2017


We were up at the crack of dawn. Overnight, the berg moved into the middle of the the harbour entrance. Winds are light with a mix of sun and cloud. We are offline with no weather forecast.


Red Bay, Labrador


Bergs and bergy bits


Departing Red Bay


We decided to head back across the Strait of Belle Isle for Noddy Bay on the Northern tip of the Northern Peninsular, departing basin at 06:00. The winds were 15 to 20 kts out the west.

We saw whales and dolphins, but were far to busy to get pictures.

At around 08:00, the winds picked up and within a half an hour there were many gusts that exceeded 40 kts. Although we did have much time to observe wind speeds, I do recall observing 44 kts at one point. Under these conditions you have to manually steer the boat as the autohelm just can’t keep up.



These conditions continued, more or less, until 11:00, when we reached Spiller’s Cove (locally known as Straitsview), in Noddy Bay, a pretty little harbour with good holding in 20 to 30 feet of water. We slept through the afternoon, which did not seem to have any effect on our need for sleep that evening.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, July 12th, 2017


Today is Mom’s birthday. Happy Birthday to Mom on this special day from Wayne and Linda. Here’s wishing you a beautiful and most pleasant day from Red Bay, Labrador.

Meanwhile, it was a rock’n’roll night at the dock. Overnight, the winds picked up out of the Southwest and the fog moved in. We could barely see the berg that moved into the harbour entrance overnight.


Iceberg at the entrance to the harbor at Red Bay


By 09:00, we were physically banging the dock, when a local resident dropped by and suggested that it would not be prudent to stay on the dock. We decided to try and get off the dock and anchor on the east side of the basin. Although it was a bit hairy with the strong wind, we managed to get off the dock safely. To the local resident, although I didn’t get your name, we do thank you for your advice and assistance.

By 10:00, we were anchored in 20 to 40 feet of water on the east side of the basin. We had 150 feet of chain out with good holding and without a doubt we were much, much more comfortable.

We battened down the hatches and watched the “History of the Eagles”. Did I ever tell you that Linda just LOVES the Eagles?

By 14:00, the blue skies have returned, but the wind continues out of the southwest at 20 kts gusting to 30 kts.


Captain's Blog, Tuesday, July 11th, 2017


We were awakened by much gentler winds and sunshine. We untied at 06:30 and headed out the harbour, passing fishing boats coming in after a night of fishing.



We motor past St. John’s Island at 08:00. The winds are out of the south at 10 – 12 kts, while we are heading north, making it somewhat difficult to sail.

As the winds pick up to 15 kts, we put up the main, primarily to stabilize the boat. We caught the tidal current and sometimes hit 8 kts SOG. Speed Over Ground represents the speed through the water plus the speed of the current.

The skies remained mostly clear as we sighted our first berg at 1400 hrs. Despite being 7 miles from us, the berg loomed large on the horizon.


As we arrived at the entrance to Red Bay, we sighted several smaller bergs in the area.


We entered Red Bay at 16:00 and tied up on the outside of the public wharf at about 16:30. We were a little uncomfortable with the tie up at a dock that was constructed of creosoted wood and somewhat dilapidated. To add to the situation, the wind was out of the Southwest, blowing us on the dock. Despite a weather forecast calling for much stronger winds, we decided to stay at the dock for the night.


Captain's Blog, Monday, July 10th, 2017


Fuel, propane, water, groceries, laundry and a shower are all on our list of today’s activities in Port Au Choix. We also found time to visit the Parks Canada building housing a collection of artifacts from the Maritime Archaic cemetery (c. 3,000 years) at Port au Choix.

While making an enquiry at the local gas station, we were offered the use of Sheryl’s pick-up truck to run our errands and get groceries. We’d like to thank Sheryl for her kindness. Having the use of your truck made our day much more comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you, Sheryl.

Later in the day, a fisherman provided us with a very generous amount of freshly caught shrimp, which culminated in pasta with shrimp scampi later in the evening.


A big thank you to the harbor master who helped us get our onboard water tanks filled and gave rides around town.



The strong winds continued into the night.


Captain's Blog, Sunday, July 9th, 2017


Departed Cow Head in heavy fog at 0630 hrs. We managed to safely navigate our way out through the rocks at the harbour entrance.

The seas were calm and the fog lifted a little at 1130 hrs.


At about 1100 hrs, a whale surfaced a few feet off the port bow. We believe it was a Minke.


Point Riche


As we approached Point Riche, the winds began to pick up. By the time we rounded the headlands, the winds were gusting to 30 kts.

We tied up at a floating dock in Port Au Choix at 1500 hrs.


Enjoyed a dinner of cod and halibut at the Anchor Café.


Captain's Blog, Saturday, July 8th, 2017


We wake up to rain and fog. TIN

After a quiet night, we departed Neddy Harbour at 0700 hrs. Headed out and up the coast passing the Rocky Harbour lighthouse, which we did not see.

The visibility remained low until our arrival in Cow Head at 1100 hrs.


Tied up at Cow Head.



The rain stopped at 1300 hrs, but it remained overcast.


Captain's Blog, Friday, July 7th, 2017


Based on the movement of our boat and the noise in the rigging, the overnight winds were blowing at least 30 kts, often gusting in excess of 40 kts. We were awakened regularly by these strong gusts. I can say with confidence that Neddy Harbour provides excellent shelter and has excellent holding.


Today's plan is to hang out until the winds subside.


Captain's Blog, Thursday, July 6th, 2017


The forecasted high winds have not yet arrived. We head over to Norris Point to see if we can get some fuel. We are able to raft to the Swiss sailboat who was there getting his jerry cans filled. With the help of Pernell, we transported our jerry cans to the local service station and got them filled.


With our fuel replenished, we return to Neddy Harbour, which has good holding and provides good shelter from the winds. We anchored in 40 feet of water and put out 200 feet of chain.


Neddy Harbour, Bonne Bay.


As we hunkered down for the night, the winds picked up significantly, with gusts sometimes exceeding 40 kts. One of the Norwegian boats had to re-anchor late in the evening.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, July 5th, 2017



At 0600 hrs. (Newfoundland Time), favorable winds returned and the jib is again unfurled. The sun is coming up over the horizon as we go by Cape St. George.


Another beautiful day.


Sailing Newfoundland's west coast, with Gros Morne in the background.


Bonne Bay, with Gros Morne in the background.


Arrived in Bonne Bay around 1800 hrs. With high winds forecast, we decide to drop anchor in Neddy Harbour. Also at anchor are 3 other sailboats, two flying the Norwegian flag, while the other is flying the flag of Switzerland.


Captain's Blog, Tuesday, July 4th, 2017


While docked at Cap-Aux-Meules, we met Camil, who is the President of Le Club Nautique De Cap-Aux-Meules as well as the operator of a marine store. Camil arrived at our boat this morning at 0730 hrs with some bulbs that we needed. Once Camil learned about our missing gas tank, he took me into town in search of a replacement. Eventually, we found a replacement and we are now ready to depart for Newfoundland. Than you, Camil. We very much appreciate all your help.


With Camil's help, we shove off at 0845 hrs and have our sails up by 0900 hrs. It is a beautiful sunny day and the wind is on the beam at 10 to 12 knots. Our SOG is 6.0 kts.


Sailing at 6.0 kts.


Late afternoon (Still sailing at 6.0 kts.)


Red sky at night, sailor's delight (Still sailing at 6.0 kts.)


 We take down the sails at 2200 hrs. After 13 hours of sailing, the wind speed has dropped off. It is a bright moonlit night.


Captain's Blog, Monday, July 3rd, 2017


Today, we did some touring with our rented "smart car".


Club Nautique De Cap-Aux-Meules with Île d'Entrée in the background.


Sailing on Baie-de-Plaisance


L'Étang de la Martinique (Martinique Pond). Conrad is out there somewhere.


The beach at Île du Havre Aubert.


Mixed in with the touring, we were able to do laundry, get groceries and replenish my wobbly pop.

After returning the car, we discovered that the gas tank for our outboard went missing.

After reviewing weather forecasts and, we decided that our weather window to Newfoundland will be the next couple of days.


Captain's Blog, Sunday, July 2nd, 2017


A relaxing morning.

In the afternoon, Conrad gave us a tour of  Cap-aux-Meules, Étang du Nord and the I'm alone II.



A special thank you to Conrad for the tour and his assistance with refueling.

We picked up a rental car at 1630 hrs and drove to Île du Havre aux Maisons for a lobster dinner


Captain's Blog, Saturday, July 1st, 2017


Happy birthday, Canada.

We sailed into Canada Day. The winds dropped off at 0530 hrs, at which time we furled in the jib, leaving us in a somewhat uncomfortable quarterly sea.


Always wondered why this island was called Rocher du "Corps Mort".


Arrived Cap-aux-Meules, Îles de la Madeleine at 1030 hrs. and also arrived into Atlantic Standard Time. The weather is still overcast, with fog.




First things first, ........ an afternoon nap. In the evening, we attended the Canada Day celebrations, which included fireworks and live bands.



We later visited one of the local bars, before retiring.


Captain's Blog, Friday, June 30th, 2017


Departed Sainte-Thérèse-de-Gaspé  for Îles de la Madeleine at 0900 hrs. The passage would take approximately 24 hours.


Sainte-Thérèse-de-Gaspé - a floating dock.


Shortly after leaving port, we experience the squeal of a loose engine belt. With the smell of burning rubber, we shut down the engine and tightened the belt. We were again underway in less than an hour.


A change in the weather is expected.


Overcast with low visibility.

As the night falls, the winds pick up. We unfurled the jib and sailed into the night.


Captain's Blog, Thursday, June 29th, 2017


The sun is shining today.

Departed Rivière-Madeleine at 0700 hrs.



Cap des Rosiers


Percé Rock


Arrived L'Anse-à-Beaufils at 1930 hrs., only to find that there was no place to tie up. We decided to continue on to Sainte-Thérèse-de-Gaspé , where we were able to tie up to a fishing boat in a very busy fishing harbour.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, June 28th, 2017


Departed Club de Yacht de Matane at 0500 hrs.

The sun can't shine everyday. Today was one of those days............., rain, drizzle and fog with the wind out of the East. We decided to batten down the hatches and cruise in the rain.


At the helm with the hatches battened down.


Passed Cap-Chat at 1130 hrs


End of day for a fisherman.

15 hours later we arrive in Rivière-Madeleine at 2000 hrs.


Captain's Blog, Tuesday, June 27th, 2017


After a comfortable night at Rimouski Marina, we departed for points east at 0900 hrs.

Weather - Sunny and calm.

Arrived Club de Yacht de Matane at 1720 hrs.


Captain's Blog, Monday, June 26th, 2017


For those who have slow internet and those who visit regularly, I have started doing the blog entries at the top of the page.


The weather was great for our day in Quebec City. Lots of "Gorbies", yet still charming and full of life.


Hi from old Quebec.


Everybody is on their smart phone.



After a full day of walking, drinking beer and people watching we returned to the boat and transited the lock to be ready for a 0445 departure. To get maximum advantage of the tidal currents, the optimum time to depart Quebec City is 3 hours before high tide at Quebec City.  Coincidentally, Sunday's tide was a big tide (a spring tide).


Departing Quebec City.


 Another beautiful day.




On Sunday morning, we started out bucking a 2 knot current, but shortly after passing Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, the flood current turned and became an ebb current. Just before Isle-aux-Coudres, our SOG (speed over ground) hit 14.3 kts. The result of departing at the right time was a tidal boost all the way to Cap-à-l'Aigle, where we arrived at 1320 hrs. The remainder of the day was spent relaxing and moving the dinghy from the davits to the deck.


On Monday morning, we departed Cap-à-l'Aigle at 0800 hrs. with a  big sky. We saw our first whales, belugas.


A Beluga.


Cap de la Tête au Chien.


We again ride the lunar express all the way to Rimouski, where we arrived at 1830 hrs. Before dinner, we did groceries.


Captain's Blog, Saturday, June 24th, 2017


Today is St. Jean Baptiste Day in Quebec.

Weather - a little cooler, but drier, with some sun.

Today, we plan to visit the old city.


Captain's Blog, Friday, June 23rd, 2017

We wake up to rain, drizzle and fog. Decided to move 3 miles downstream to the old port.

0930 - Departed Yacht Club de Quebec.

1000 - Arrived at the old port.


Visited the market for a while, but because it's raining, we decided to return to the boat. Linda wants everyone to know that she picked up some fresh Île d'Orléans strawberries.


Captain's Blog, Thursday, June 22nd, 2017

A big High Pressure moved in overnight. Sunny and cool with the winds out of the Northwest.

0900 - Departed Portneuf, following a pump out.

1150 - Passed under the Pierre Laporte Bridge doing 12.4 kts. We apparently caught the Ebb tide, which means that the Ebb tide downstream current was approximately 5.4 kts.

1220 hrs - Arrived at the Quebec Yacht Club.

Burgee exchange between the Lakeshore Yacht Club and the  Quebec Yacht Club.

It is high tide in the picture. The basin is full. The water level in the basin at low tide will be at least 15 feet lower. Thank god for floating docks.

Shortly after we arrived at Yacht Club de Quebec in 2002, we met a most kind and gentle man, named Peter. Peter seemed to enjoy answering our questions and we had many. He enthusiastically explained how we could take advantage of the tidal currents downstream of Quebec City. Despite a physical handicap, Peter was a sailor and he loved his boat. Born in Alberta and transplanted to Quebec, Peter was a happy sailor.

In 2008, we again arrived at Yacht Club de Quebec. Once tied up, we looked for Peter and found him working on his boat. We reminisced and again talked a lot about boating.

Today, we found ourselves again looking for Peter. But Peter was not to be found.

In the fall of 2015, Peter fell from his boat. Sadly, he died from his injuries. Near the entrance to the club house, overlooking the basin, there is bench honoring Peter. RIP, Peter.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, June 21th, 2017

First day of summer.

Sleep 'til 0915.

Winds west at 20 kts, a little cooler and less humid.

.1130 - Departed Sorel.

1220 hrs - Entered Lac St. Pierre. Winds strong, sometimes gusting to 30 kts.

Speed over ground reached 12 kts at the Richlieu Rapids.

1945 - Arrived Portneuf.



Captain's Blog, Tuesday, June 20th, 2017

Woke up to thunderstorms.

Burgee exchange between Lakeshore Yacht Club and the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.

Topped up fuel and water.

0930 hrs - Departed the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club.

We have 2 more locks to transit.

1530 hrs - Entered the Côte-Sainte-Catherine  Lock.

1700 hrs - Entered the St. Lambert Lock.

Transiting the St Lambert Lock.

The ships of the St. Lawrence River.

2215 hrs - Arrived Sorel.


Captain's Blog, Saturday, June 17th, 2017

0645 hrs - Weigh anchor

0715 hrs - Arrive Beauharnois Lock agin.

1015 hrs - Enter the Beauharnois Lock

Stephen and Dan of Finale in the Beauharnois Lock

Linda in the Beauharnois Lock

1115 hrs - Exit the Beauharnois Lock into Lac St Louis

1300 hrs - Arrived at the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club in Dorval. 

We will be spending a few days in Montreal with family.

Linda and her Mom.


Captain's Blog, Friday, June 16th, 2017

Traffic on upstream side of the Iroquois Lock

Waiting at the Iroquois Lock

0700 hrs - We were asked by the lock attendant if we would like to go. Does a bear live in the zoo?

Weather overcast, wind SW 15-20 kts.

0800 - We got the green light to enter the lock.

The Iroquois is kind of a drive through lock. Normally, the water level difference is minimal (less that 2 feet). The downstream gate starts opening just as soon as the upstream gate is closed.

0840 - Speed over ground is 9.2 kts.

1115 hrs - We enter the Eisenhawer Lock and are out in 30 minutes.

Transiting the Eisenhawer Lock

1215 hrs - We enter the Snell Lock and again we are out in 30 minutes.

1300 hrs - Speed over ground is 11 kts. That's a 4 kt river current, twice the normal average.

1400 hrs - Enter Lac St. Francois

The lift bridge at Valleyfield

1900 hrs - Arrive the Beauharnois Lock

1905 hrs - Turned away from Beauharnois Lock

2100 hrs - Dropped anchor upstream of Beauharnois Lock and went to bed.


Captain's Blog, Thursday, June 15th, 2017

0830 hrs - After a pleasant night, we weighed anchor and got under way.

Weather: Sunny, winds East at 10 kts.

1100 hrs - Speed over Ground 9.3 kts. (A boost of 2 - 3 kts)

1130 hrs - Arrived at the upstream end of the Iroquois Lock.

1230 hrs - We were informed by lock staff that there had been an accident in the lock and that there would be a delay of "about" 6 hours.

Upstream end of Iroquois Lock

The repairs continued well into the evening. A special thanks to the staff member who kept us informed on the progress of the repairs. To compound the problem, a freighter ran aground downstream of the lock. We decided to call it a day and turn in.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, June 14th, 2017

1030 hrs - Departed Confederation Basin, Kingston.

Thanks to Kim for printing our seaway lock chits, which are required by the lock attendants.

Thanks to Rob for helping us get off the dock safely.

Today, in an effort to minimize the impact of the high water levels on Lake Ontario and in the St. Lawrence River, the Moses-Saunders Dam at Cornwall will be releasing more water than ever before. Recreational Boaters are being warned "to be cautious of the extreme conditions".

The board in charge of waterflow through the Moses-Saunders Power Dam says the increased outflow will increase the current in the St. Lawrence River.

Photo Source:

As we proceeded down river, we noticed an additional 1 to 2 knots on our "speed over ground".

This is the Singer castle, for more go to:

There was a time when castles were big. Nine boat houses.................., seriously.

1700 hrs - Arrived at the Brockville Yacht Club, only to find out that they were not accepting guests due to the high water levels.

We went a short distance upstream and dropped anchor on the downstream side of Smith Island. We enjoyed a quiet evening with dinner in the cockpit (no bugs).



Captain's Blog, Tuesday, June 13th, 2017

0200 hrs - We are motoring pass the Ducks (the islands) and into the upper reaches of the St. Lawrence River.

Sunrise, June 13th, 2017

0900 hrs - Arrived Portsmouth Marina, where we topped up fuel and water.

0945 hrs - Arrived at the Kingston YC.

1700 hrs - Moved to Confederation Basin. Too much wave action out there.


Captain's Blog, Monday, June 12th, 2017


s/v Gallivanting at the Lake Shore Yacht Club service dock ready for departure


"Are we there yet?"

Departed Lakeshore Yacht Club at 0830 hrs. Wind was out of the SW at 13 kts. We set sail with the wind on the Starboard Quarter and headed East to Kingston.

Within hours the winds were at 20 kts. We averaged 6.0 kts until 2330 hrs, when the winds died and shifted to Northwest. Whenever you can sail (with a destination) for 15 continuous hours, it is awesome.


Captain's Blog, Saturday, June 10th, 2017

3 days of sunshine in a row...... Wow.

We are now planning to depart Lakeshore YC on Monday, June 12th.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, June 7th, 2017

"It never rains, but it pours..."  As a result, we are ever so slightly behind schedule.

The good news..........  the 5 day local forecast is suggesting a significant improvement in the weather.

We now expect to depart for points East this week.


Captain's Blog, Monday, May 25th, 2017

Betty has a new outfit and is anxious to get underway.


Captain's Blog, Monday, May 8th, 2017

The stick is on. Over the next 4 weeks, we will re-assemble and provision.


Captain's Blog, Monday, May 1th, 2017

Gallivanting is now in the water.


Captain's Blog, Wednesday, April 19th, 2017

Work on the hull and the bottom are well underway and launch is scheduled for Friday, April 29th.


Captain's Blog, Tuesday, March 14th, 2017

The Captain's Blog Page was created today. We are now on daylight saving time and looking forward to warmer days. Although our departure date is still 12 weeks away, the planning is well underway. This spring, we will be installing AIS, new batteries, an EPIRB, a new ladder and a new RADAR.